Author Topic: Can anyone identify  (Read 3474 times)

George L Smith

Can anyone identify
« on: August 18, 2018, 09:51:04 PM »
Can anyone tell me what these are?
They are obviously diagnostic ports. My user manual says that one is engine diagnostic port, the other is borax diagnostics. But it also shows them as both 6 pin ports. And I have nothing to identify the on/off toggle switch.

I'm assuming that the nine pin is the engine diagnostics. But, that's only because silverleaf has a 6 OR 9 pin connector for the VMSpc package.

Trying to get the picture attached.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 09:59:36 PM by George L Smith »

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
Re: Can anyone identify
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 11:36:58 PM »
George, think we addressed the same question about month ago on this forum. Think answer your question. Being 2007 the diagnostic connection should be  9 pin J-1939 data port but where you
Confuse me you silver leaf is connected into a 6 pin 1708 data port. There is only one data cable
Coming off the J-1 connection on your engine ECM, so if connecting Cat ET to readout engine ECM
would have to use the 6 pin connection that silver leaf is connected to. Also many times the Allison
Transmission will share same 6 pin connector to read Allison transmission. Going back to the 9
pin J-1939 it could be for the ABS brake system if not than it will read out the Allison transmission.
If you are in Farmington I can verify and you can mark these connections. There is a reason for
These not being marked and have seen several same as what you are asking about. If a person
in not experience in this area he will not get into your system.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

George L Smith

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 11:58:29 PM »
I think you misunderstood my question. But, I think you answered at least part of it.

There is a 9 pin port that I assumed was the engine diagnostics. The confusion must have come from my statement about the silverleaf options. They ask to specify a 9 or 6 pin port when you order the unit. I do not have one, or have it hooked up to anything. I'm just trying to identify what is in there. I have a 9 pin, and a 6 pin port. But, I also have an on/off toggle switch as well.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 12:42:40 AM »
That looks similar to the panel in my coach (located just below the removable center dash panel).
Manual says the plug on left is engine diagnostic plug and the one on the right is for the Vorad (which I dont have, so on mine the turn signal flasher relay is in that second hole)

There are two photos of this panel from my coach in this thread http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,8174.msg56516.html#msg56516

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 02:35:42 AM »
George, let’s try going this way, you should have a diagnostic plug in back of motorhome or in rear passengers compartment I think it will be on rear passengers side there will two plugs there also
but the top plug you should see j-1939 below plug or on top this will be your engine data plug
that comes from the J-1 side of engine ECM . The same wires here will connect in front 9 pin also.
If marked J-1939 is a 9 pin that should be what you are looking for. If you see J-1708 this is a
6/pin plug that earlier models used. So in back look the number under the plug this should help
You. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

George L Smith

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 03:58:36 AM »
thanks Dave

George L Smith

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 05:24:48 PM »
So, I checked the diagnostic plug in the engine compartment, and it is the 9 pin as expected.

The only thing left to figure out is, what that on/off toggle switch is for?

Guy Pryor

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 06:15:10 PM »
This is the switch I have under my dash it say's ABS on the switch I assume it has to do with the ABS braking system I don't know for sure, I am also assuming because of where it is located and how it operates (it is not a off or on switch it has to be held down to be activated)  I am also assuming it is a test switch. I would appreciate it if someone could tell me if I am in the ball park.