Author Topic: Steering not steady  (Read 2387 times)

Shelly Sperling

Steering not steady
« on: August 20, 2018, 03:54:33 AM »
I have a 90 Beaver Contessa. I bought it a year ago, and I've attended the Buffalo Rally, and now the Colorado Springs, Canon City, and Alamosa, and then Farmington Rallies.  As I'm driving on the highways, I'm encountering steering unsteadyness. I'm having to always be on alert, it is not a smooth steering experience.
Your sugggestions?

Shelly Sperling
Charlotte, NC
90 Beaver Contessa

Mike Shumack

Re: Steering not steady
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 11:08:07 AM »
Cheapest things to do/check first are weight of coach (four corner weighing to be sure you are not overloading an axle and have cargo weight distributed equally), then adjust tire pressure based on actual weights.

If that does not help, then go to Alignment Shop. At 28 years old its possible some of the front end/steering parts are worn out (like tie-rods ends, king pins, and/or steering box. It may possible to adjust some play out of the steering box.). A good truck/bus Alignment shop would check these things prior to alignment.

Lastly, adding a steering stabilizer like Saf-T-Plus may help. There have been many reports of owners reporting that the stabilizer made a big difference.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 12:29:08 PM »
If you were anywhere near Oregon I’d send you without question to Henderson’s Lineup in Grants Pass.  But there may be good references or provider booths available at the Farmington gathering.  Also check here, but hope you have better luck getting a full page to open than I can at the moment:   http://www.rvservicereviews.com/RVServiceMobile/StateList.asp?state=NM&width=1024

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 10:35:41 PM »
Shelly,
If this is the first long wheelbase coach that you have driven? If so, you may just not be use to the handling differences between your coach and a car. When I first starting driving a coach, it took me about 3,000 miles to get use to the handling difference between it and a car, but I was driving a 1993 Patriot on a Spartan chassis that is not known for it's road manners.

Gerald                                                                                                           

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 05:18:25 AM »
Proper tire inflation is a factor as is just being acustomed to the size of the rig.  I find that it being sure is the best way.  Hendersons Line Up in Oregon is the place but may suggest a shop closer to you if you cant get out here!
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!