Author Topic: Stain on exterior - what is causing this? Is is diesel fuel?  (Read 4804 times)

Mike Shumack

Stain on exterior - what is causing this? Is is diesel fuel?
« on: August 22, 2018, 06:23:51 PM »
I am now getting this stain on the left front side of coach. It seems to be coming from fuel filler compartment. Only on the left side.

I cleaned this all off (including inside fuel compartment) and waxed the side a week ago. Now it's back. 

I was thinking this was diesel fuel but there is no visible sign of fuel looking into filler neck. The underside of fuel cap is dry. Maybe some fuel sloched up when I last moved the coach. I have a full tank but not overfull. Or could it be deterioration of the material Beaver put around the filler neck? Looks like a mound of silicone or putty there.

I was wondering if anyone else has seen this staining.  It's always something with these coaches.  ::)

Guy Pryor

Re: Stain on exterior - what is causing this? Is is diesel fuel?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 06:36:56 PM »
To Me That looks like Rust, that means there is water getting in there some how and keeping a metal part wet.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 07:22:51 PM »
I'll look around the backside of this area and see if there is any metal. I think the compartment and fuel door are aluminum.

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 07:26:20 PM »
If it's oily, then it's likely diesel making the stain.  If it's dry, then it's likely water with rust.  Of note, the stain is running straight down.  So it's happening when you are parked and not traveling.  It could be from dew (off the roof?) running into and behind the filler door, causing a rusting condition, and carrying the rust stain out the filler door and straight down the exterior side panel.  Are you mostly traveling or mostly parked in one spot?
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 07:28:43 PM »
Mike,
If you were able to clean it off the finish, it is something that is occurring on top of the finish. Rust would normally have to start at the base metal unless there is rust in the fuel fill compartment and enough moisture to cause the "stain" to run down the exterior of the coach. There may be some steel ribs/supports behind the compartment that are contributors if it is rust. My first reaction in looking at the pic was fuel staining.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Mike Shumack

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 08:40:53 PM »
Yes it cleans right off the surface. There is a drip of it at the seem in the photo, which is an amber color. I tried to see if it smelled like diesel but I could not tell. since it rains every day here, I think this is due to rain runoff. I have not noticed if this occurs when its dry out.

I used a little polishing compound and a rag (it does not just wipe off). it is only on the surface. Paint is still intact.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 08:43:38 PM »
If it's oily, then it's likely diesel making the stain.  If it's dry, then it's likely water with rust.  Of note, the stain is running straight down.  So it's happening when you are parked and not traveling.  It could be from dew (off the roof?) running into and behind the filler door, causing a rusting condition, and carrying the rust stain out the filler door and straight down the exterior side panel.  Are you mostly traveling or mostly parked in one spot?

I have not traveled in coach since June. But I did move coach around in my yard a couple of times (which means driving it forward or back 50 ft.) to cut the grass.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 09:36:53 PM »
My take is that, judging from the detritus along the bottom edge of the fuel compartment, rain is entering either behind the compartment door or coming into it from an as yet unperceived compromisation point in the roof or wall above.  It’s like a house roof leak... they can be hard to find because where the water enters and where it shows up can be yards apart.  The old electrical bay “flood” on our coach was frustrating until I noted a split along the length of the rubber windshield brow;  filling the crack with Lexel stopped the drip into the bay, despite BCS techs’ opinion that the brow couldn’t possibly be the problem.

However it’s getting in there, my guess is the rainwater is mixing with that detritus, perhaps a blend of rust and long-ago spilled fuel, and carrying the color down as it finds its way out of the fuel port.  I’d be looking to thoroughly clean, with a toothbrush or other tools and Simple Green, that fuel neck escutcheon.  Then try to access behind and above it somehow to find any source of rust from perhaps a steel filler port support/brace.  Also review any seams within feet of the area above the fuel port and on the roof proximal. 

It doesn’t take much.  An infinitesimally tiny compromise (hiding underneath the wires) of the sealant globbed around our solar wiring roof entry point resulted in a washout of our living/galley area a couple years back.  A gulleywasher came through while we were away from the coach for a few hours, and we spent several late night hours mopping up, and me on the roof in the dark rain trying to zero in on the culprit.  No fun, but I found it... and the lake formed from a shallow dip in our roof that’s supposed to be “domed”.  Naturally the solar wire entry hole was under the lake!

So take a real careful look at all caulked seams above, and see if you can get enough behind the fuel filler box to follow any leak trail.  Depending on the exact situation, I might consider running beads of Lexel anywhere I could get it in that fuel filler box, on cleaned seams, to force any water intrusion away so it can’t enter from above or behind or exit, stained or not, down the coach side.

The obvious crud along that escutcheon bottom edge could be as previously noted a mix of fuel and rust... rust off the box itself from water intrusion through the port’s door.  Check the upper edge of the door that when closed, water isn’t getting in... simply use a hose to test.  Then repair any questionable area as seems practical, clean the box, use Lexel, and paint.  Of course beyond the staining issue, water anywhere around the fuel fill is a threat to fuel integrity as well.

Joel
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 09:54:58 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Will Hansen

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 11:02:01 PM »
I tracked a similar stain on our coach to a leak in the sealant on a rain gutter above a window high above the stained area. Water entered the skin, flowed around the window frame, and then laterally, then down to a bay door where it then made it back out onto the door skin. My theory is the color is the result of seeping through the wood luan layer behind the fiberglass skin rather than rust. But just a guess on that.

-Will
Will and Carla Hansen
Zoe the Yorkie-Pom (ol' Eagle Bait)
2007 Contessa Laguna
C9 400hp Cat
2015 RAM 1500

Mike Shumack

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 12:46:25 PM »
I sure hope that is not is cause - the quicker I figure this out, the less time for damage to compound.
With daily rain (and coach parked outside uncovered) it's hard to get a good look at this. I am getting some water in the coach past the Living Room Slide seal (with Slide open) maybe this stain is this related to that leak.

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2018, 01:23:12 PM »
Mike it does look like a water stain the red color I believe is from the wood/adhesive stains
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

George Harwell

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2018, 02:32:24 PM »
Mike, I have to agree with Will as I had the same problem. The same color leak was entering from the roof and migrating down to the drivers side window then ran down the wall into the switch panel. Took me over a year to stop the leak. I covered the front cap seam with eternabond 4 inch tape and all is well. I agree that the color is from the glue used in the wall construction.

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2018, 03:29:57 PM »
Mike,
There are two metal components which can rust inside the gas door: the lock and the gas cap holder.  If neither of them are rusted, it is probably the wood or glue from it.
Roy Warren
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

Mike Shumack

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2018, 11:17:07 PM »
It looks like you are right about it being a stain due to water intrusion.
I just checked coach (it's raining) and there is water dripping off the slide out ceiling trim and the carpet is wet around the back of captains chair and left side control panel.

So I guess I have some seals to replace.

I'll start searching the forum for some info on replacing seals  :-\