Author Topic: Inverter/Charger recommendation  (Read 3109 times)

Adam Hicklin

Inverter/Charger recommendation
« on: September 08, 2018, 07:19:15 AM »
I’ll need to replace my Xantrex ProSine 2.5 inverter.  I see that Magnum is the way to go.  A couple questions: 1. Should I be looking at the Magnum MS series?  What are people using?  2. The MS series comes in a 2800 watt.  Would that be a direct swap for the current 2500 watt as far as existing wiring goes?  Could I go up to 3000W? Would any modifications need to be done for either 2800 or 3000?  3.  Is this a plug and play swap?  Something a fairly competent Beaver owner can do on his own?

As always, thanks for the input. 
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 08:17:19 AM by Adam Hicklin »

Mike Shumack

Re: Inverter/Charger recommendation
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 01:05:35 PM »
Why not stay with the same manufacture? Do you think Mangum is better? You may just want to call both companies and ask them about any difficulties you may encounter - and which model is best for you.

Here is a post from irv2 forum where poster swapped Xantrex to Magnum. There were differences in the mounting flanges and cable locations. it sounds like a lot of extra work (over replacing what you have with same). I don't recall now if the reasons he changed brands where mentioned in the thread.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/swapping-a-trace-xantrex-inverter-for-a-magnum-in-a-2004-monaco-signature-386835.html

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 01:55:09 PM »
When my Xantrex 2500w inverter failed a few years back, I had it replaced by a Xantrex 3000w.  The newer Xantrex inverters came in 2000w and 3000w sizes (no 2500w), so I elected to get the 3000w.  No changes to the coach wiring were made to accommodate the change from 2500w to 3000w.

The firm I used in Tucson, AZ dealt with and repaired (if repairable) both Magnum and Xantrex inverters.  Because the battery charging internals in the inverter had failed and were not repairable, the firm recommended I replace the Xantrex with a Xantrex.  If I remember correctly, the firm preferred Xantrex over Magnum, but would, of course, follow my desire for either brand.

Those inverters are very heavy.  I helped the technician get out the old inverter and install the new one.  We used a small golf cart tire-jack to hold the inverter up into place while unbolting the old inverter, and remodeling the mounting bracket and bolting into place the new inverter.  I don't know how the technician could have done the replacement without at least a second person to help handle the weight in the confined workspace where the inverter sits.

The technicians also had to install new wiring for a new battery temperature sensor, a new AGS module, and a new remote panel.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 03:25:36 PM »
Adam,
Going from a 2500W Prosine to a 2800W Magnum inverter is a job that the average DIY mechanic can do if you understand 12 volt and 120 volt A/C circuits, and yes the USA built Magnum inverter is a better quality inverter than the Chinese made Xantrex. As David pointed out, you may need a little help in mounting the unit, and if you want a AGS system or a BTS, you will have to install one that is compatible with the Magnum inverter. However, if you do not understand the electrical circuits involved, and the necessary safety measures required, you should leave the job to a pro.

Gerald   

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 05:32:06 PM »
Thanks.  Gerald, will the Magnum fit in the existing inverter bracket without significant modification?  The MS series?

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2018, 07:18:45 PM »
A couple years ago, our original Xantrex fried (2000W). We initially tried to replace it with a Magnum, but our installer would have had to make several modifications to make it "fit". We opted for the plug and play Xantrex 3000 PSW. No issues to date. I had no idea how to program it for all the various things it can do, so David Richelderfer walked me through it on the phone one day, since we have the same unit.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad
The following users thanked this post: Bryan Schmidt

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2018, 08:01:07 PM »
When my Xantrex was fried by a faulty elec. connection I replaced it with a Magnum MS 2800.  It fit in the space fine.  The issue I had is that the Xantrex had auto gen start and the battery temp monitor integral to the inverter.  The magnum had to have add ons for auto gen start and battery monitor.  The Phone cable running to the control panel worked fine but the connections had to be changed.  New wires run to the generator for AGS and batteries for temp monitor and all done.  Not as hard as it sounded at the time.  Good luck, I believe the Magnum is a better choice and it is American made.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Gerald Farris

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2018, 03:51:45 AM »
Adam,
I am not sure exactly what the inverter mounting bracket is designed like in your 98 Marquis. You will need to measure the mounting bracket to determine if a modification is necessary.

Gerald