Author Topic: Tips for replacing Carefree ‘Soft Connect’?  (Read 2851 times)

Will Hansen

• BAC Member
Tips for replacing Carefree ‘Soft Connect’?
« on: September 08, 2018, 08:31:55 PM »
Our Soft Connect (narrow strip of fabric that links the main awning to the roof) has severe UV deterioration. I just ordered the replacement but CF doesn’t seem to have written instructions for replacing.  Threading two beads through 20’ of parallel channels looks like it will be a bit of a high-flying adventure. I’d love to hear tips from others who have tackled this chore.  Lubricate with dish soap or silicone? How best to support the awning after deploying it only a foot or two?  Etc.
TIA
-Will
Will and Carla Hansen
Zoe the Yorkie-Pom (ol' Eagle Bait)
2007 Contessa Laguna
C9 400hp Cat
2015 RAM 1500

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Tips for replacing Carefree ‘Soft Connect’?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 04:11:50 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atb0bHPTg8A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDKCSwYXbH0

There are many, many videos on the internet which describe how to replace awning material.  I do not know your awning model, so you may have to look around a bit to find a video that has your model awning.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 01:29:06 PM »
Also check the awning videos in the Private Member Only board.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Will Hansen

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 04:26:19 PM »
There are indeed lots of videos on replacing awning fabric, but nothing that I can find on specifically replacing the Soft Connect which is a 5” wide by 243” long sliver of material that connects the metal cover at the  top of the awning to the roof. I’ll forge ahead and report back.
-Will
Will and Carla Hansen
2007 Contessa Laguna
C9 400hp Cat
2015 RAM 1500

Bryan Beamon

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 05:06:37 PM »
Will we had Camping World replace our soft connect material . They used silicone and charged us one hour labor. They used 2 techs to feed and pull the fabric. I beieve the awning motor would hold the awning in position while they fed the material thru the 2 slots.
C & Bryan Beamon
2006  to present
2007 Contessa 42ft Cat C-9 400hp
1996 to 2006 97 Beaver Patriot Camden
The following users thanked this post: Will Hansen

Will Hansen

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 05:04:19 PM »
Ok, we finished replacing the Soft Connect on our main awning (Carefree Eclipse model). Since I could find no information on this task, here’s how we did it...

Purchased the replacement part direct from Carefree.  Cost was approx. $170 delivered.

Started by partially deploying the awning about 18 inches by hitting the “extend” button and then quickly turning off the power.

Then parked our towed vehicle beside the drivers side of the coach and tied ropes to both the front and rear bumpers.  Then tossed the loose ends of these ropes up on the coach roof.

Then used a step ladder to shove crushed cardboard boxes between the slide topper and the aluminum shell that the awning retracts into. Did this at both ends of the slide. The purpose was to take the weight off of the old Soft Connect.

Also, used the ladder to disconnect the power plug to the awning, just to be safe.

Next, climbed onto the roof and tied the ropes to each end of the awning frame to prevent the awning from falling away from the coach if we had to destroy the old Soft Connect to remove it. (This protection turned out to be unnecessary but we didn’t know what we were getting into.)

I then used a screwdriver to remove the screw from each end of the channel in the aluminum shell. These screws lock the Soft Connect bead into the channel. (The Soft Connect is a bridge between a large channel along the edge of the roof and this small channel in the aluminum shell.)

At this point, I was able to pull the old Soft Connect a few inches toward the rear of the coach. Much relieved at this point that we would be able to simply pull the old Soft Connect out gradually from the back, as we inserted the new one into the front.

Next, I returned to the ground and used the step ladder to access the awning channels at the front end of the coach (above the coach entry door). Now that the old Soft Connect had been pulled back, I used a file and a moto tool to smooth the edges at the mouths of both channels (the small channel in the aluminum shell and the big one in the coach roof).

Then I sprayed silicone into each channel and fed the two beads of the new Soft Connect a few inches into the two channels.

Used rope to suspend the coil of new Soft Connect above the coach entry door so it could be more easily spooled as we inserted it into the mouths of the channels.

Finally, wife and I both climbed onto the roof. I pulled the old Soft Connect a few more feet out the back (toward the rear of the coach). (Carefull to disperse our weight by never standing close to one another!)

Our process was that she would feed the new Soft Connect into the channels at the front of the coach while I would pull it’s leading edge rearward, periodically going back to pull a few more feet of the old one out (so that, between old and new, the awning remained connected to the coach). We shared the spray can of silicone and both used it liberally.

The key to pulling the new material was to sandwich it between two small pieces of steel, clamped tightly together with vice-grips.  A pair of quarters would probably have worked too.

Finished up by trimming excess with a knife, and replacing the locking screws in both ends of the smaller channel.

Much relief when we finished.  Took about 1.5 hours total.  Old Soft Connect had all the strength of a piece of paper!  Could have easily torn completely in a side wind with catastrophic results.

Our coach is 11 years old and our old Soft Connect was totally shot. I encourage you to check the condition of yours. I can imagine some very bad consequences of one lets go while extending the awning or at freeway speeds.

-Will

Will and Carla Hansen
2007 Contessa Laguna
C9 400hp Cat
2015 RAM 1500