Author Topic: Did Beaver switch basement door latches to an automotive "post" style?  (Read 3280 times)

Mike Shumack

I saw video (YouTube "For Sale" walkaround) where the sales guy went around and was able to "slam shut" the basement doors. I know I can't do that on my 2005. I forget the year of the coach now - maybe 2008 or 09?

I tried to zoom in on the video but could see much - however it looked like the basement doors had "posts" like a car door rather than the wedge style locks (see photo) that my Patriot uses. I have use the "Beaver bump" to get my doors closed.

Did Beaver change lock styles sometime after 2005?

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Did Beaver switch basement door latches to an automotive "post" style?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 10:22:56 PM »
Mike - First, I do not know the answer to your question.  Our coach basement doors have the same latch as shown in your picture.  We have replaced two latches on the same trip due to the nylon point breaking off, and we purchased two plus a third latch as a spare.   I'm thinking the nylon points get brittle after 10 or 12 years.

I used to always slam the basement doors shut - broke the two latches slamming the doors shut fortunately on different doors so we didn't have a door flapping in the breeze while traveling.  Since replacing the two latches I make sure to slowly close the doors, then pull the handle to retract the nylon points, then push the door on into position.  Usually, I can get one latch to catch and have to Beaver knee the other side closed.  If memory serves, those latches cost about $15 each.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 11:31:46 PM »
Mike,
When Monaco went to the horizontal opening bay doors they changed to a different latching mechanism.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 08:43:36 AM »
Ours uses post latches !
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Bob Stone

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 10:22:19 AM »
Mike you might wish to consider replacing the bin door latches with those available from RV Storage Door Latches as advertised each month in the FMCA Magazine. (September issue page 102) The plastic plunger has been replaced with one of solid aluminum. I've replaced a couple and believe they will outlive the coach.
www.motorhomelatches.com

Bob

Bob Stone
'05 Monterey Laguna IV  Cat C-9
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert

Mike Shumack

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 11:01:04 AM »
Good idea. Thanks.
Link saved.