Author Topic: Best Internet Source for RVers  (Read 13657 times)

James C. Wheeler

Best Internet Source for RVers
« on: March 06, 2011, 11:42:39 PM »
[size=14]Hello again folks, Here is the Newby again.  As I have a very large 13 year old Web-Site with over 1500 former Vietnam Unit Mission Crewmen on and a part of it preserving our history, I really need to keep in contact with them and the site while on the road.  I know there are quite a number of ways to do this but I would like suggestions on the Best/Least Expensive[/Color] way to do this?  What are the thoughts on Wifi  as opposed to others means?  How about service in the remote/outback areas ?

Thanks,
J.C. Wheeler
Clarksville, Arkansas
[/b][[/size]

Bill Sprague

Re: Best Internet Source for RVers
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 01:44:02 AM »
James,

Welcome to our club.  I too am a Vietnam vet, but that's not your question!

Opinions will vary, but I think the most convenient method to maintain internet contact is with an 'Aircard" from any cell phone company.  Many think Verizon has the best coverage.  Aircards come in two varieties.  One is matchbox sized and connects wirelessly to the cell towers and creates a local wifi cell for your wifi equipped laptop.  Verizon cutely calls theirs a "MiFi" and my wife and I rely on one for our normal internet connection.  The other style plugs into your laptop.  They cost about $60 a month so most people cancel all other connection services to justify it.  

I think the cheapest is simply to use a wifi equipped laptop.  Most coffee shops and fastfood places like McDonalds allow you to enjoy their connection while you sip their coffee or eat their food.  Most public libraries have good free wifi to.  Lots of commercial campgrounds offer it as well but it can frequently get slow from overloading.

There does not seem to be much in between those two options.  It is either an expensive aircard or free and often inconvenient wifi.  Hughs satellite connections used to be popular and some that travel to Mexico still use them.  The equipment is expensive and the monthly is about the same as the aircards.

Some try to "tether" their cell phones, but the connections will be too slow for website management.  New smartphones like the iPhone at Verizon has the equivalent of an aircard built in but the data plans are not any cheaper.

Post any questions you have and will try to answer them.  

By the way, all cell phone companies give vets a discount on their cell phone bills.  I signed up for mine a few weeks ago.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 01:56:22 AM by 149 »

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 03:36:13 AM »
J.C.,
As bill stated above the overall best option is probably an aircard if you are in an area with cell service, however you mentioned remote/outback areas and in that case the only option is satellite internet through either a Hughes dish on a tripod or a Motosat Datastorm. These routes are more expensive, with the Datastorm being the most expensive at about $5,000 in equipment cost, however if you want internet in Death Valley or Eagle Alaska, there is no other option.

You will probably find that you do not need internet connections often enough in remote areas to justify the cost, especially when you see that an aircard is faster an just as dependable as a satellite dish at a fraction of the cost.

I use a Datastorm dish, but I have been using it for 5 or 6 years, so when I purchased it there was no viable aircard option. Having internet anywhere that you can see the southern sky is nice, but you have to avoid being parked under trees and it is not useable while driving. So today I would opt for a Verizon aircard.

Gerald    

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 05:23:08 AM »
The Verizon MiFi is a modem and router combined in a small package, ideal for motor homes.  We even use it at home to connect 4 computers and a wireless printer.  The monthly fee is the same as an air card which only serves one device at a time.  In 2 years we have only found 2 places where Verizon did not exist.  One was Death Valley and the other was Three Rivers, CA.  It was a change of pace to do without Internet for a few days.  By driving 3-4 miles we could connect again.

Larry  

Steve Adams

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 09:39:14 AM »
If you have a smart phone, the Droid in particular, you can get an application called PDA Net (< $20.00) that works phenomenly well. You use a USB tether between your laptop and phone and it acts as a modem. We pay nothing extra for this service as we already have an unlimited data plan. Friends who have AT&T or Sprint tell me they pay an extra $30 per month to have this capability.

Our two oldest grandsons used this setup last summer to play World of Warcraft and it was just like they were at home on the DSL. And I mean just like on the DSL, it was amazing.

Hope this helps.
Steve

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 05:45:31 PM »
Note: PDA.net is not approved by Apple's App Store so to download it you have to Jailbreak your phone to get the App. Jailbreak can void your Iphone warranty

http://www.junefabrics.com/iphone/index.php is a good starting point.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 04:12:50 PM »
Quote from: Richard And Babs Ames
Note: PDA.net is not approved by Apple's App Store so to download it you have to Jailbreak your phone to get the App. Jailbreak can void your Iphone warranty

http://www.junefabrics.com/iphone/index.php is a good starting point.
I think I read where the new Verizon iPhone will function as a WiFi hotspot for five devices just like a MiFi. i don't know the data plan costs.

Keith Cooper

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 03:53:10 AM »
There is no single right answer to this question. There are a number of carriers and Mobile Virtual Network Operators (MVNO's) which provide data plans for a variety of rates, for example Sprint provides up to 5GB for $40 per month on the Virgin Moble label. Getting to the right answer depends on your specific needs. Here are some web sites which may help:
http://www.letstalk.com/?ilr=1
http://www.myrateplan.com/
http://www.point.com/
MVNO'S may run on more than one network simultaneously. An example is StraightTalk depending on the handset purchased subscribers actually run on Verizon, AT&T or the Sprint's network

James C. Wheeler

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 12:33:08 PM »
Good Morning Folks,

I really do appreciate the response to my question on Wireless Internet.  I have entered into a two year agreement with Verizon for a 5 GB system using what I believe they called a "5 Spot", a small unit about half the size of a Cell Phone that can  serve as many as 5 wireless computers.  I have been running the system for the past 2 days at home on my Desktop and I think I am going to enjoy this system and plan to drop my home DSL service with the phone company.

Again, Thanks to all who responded.

J.C. Wheeler
1993 Contessa
Clarksville, Arkansas

Per Mogensen

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 02:38:59 PM »
Just wanted to let my experience of using the the Verizon MiFi card. The card is a great way of connect to the internet. I have been driving from Atlanta to Daytona and being connected all the way to the internet with good speed. We have been working for days 10-12 hours a day for a week through this card and it all worked very well and reliable. During business travel have I used it many different places in the US (Atlanta, GA, San Diego, CA, Los Angeles, CA, Charlotte, NC, Daytona, FL, Cocoa Beach, FL and more place) with consistent good results.

Working 2 people full time with heavy internet related tasks is less than 1 GB per day. Of course we do not watch Netflix or similar thing over a limited bandwidth connection.

I bought the card as a deal with an iPad.
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?&item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneOverviewByDevice&deviceCategoryId=11
The card does not require a contract this way and we have the $35 plan (3GB plus $10 per extras GB) that we enable and disable. So compared to the 2 year contract will the price look like below.
2 year contract (5 GB): 2x12x$60 = $1440
16 GB iPad and Mifi (3 GB) = $529 + 2x12x$35 = $1369
Buy MiFi no contract and MiFi (3 GB) = $270 + 2x12x$35 = $1110
So basically you get a free iPad 16 GB and still save some money over the 2 year period of the contract. The other good thing is that when not travelling and not needing the MiFi connection can the billing be stopped (since there is no contract). Saving the $35 per month. Most people will not need more than the 3 GB, even when using a lot of e-mail and picture related tasks. Still overages is only $10 per GB, making 5 GB $55 if exceeding the limits. Still cheaper than the fixed $60. I would not get the MiFi card on the contract. It is a huge set of unnecessary handcuffs.

[size=14]BUT:[/color][/size] If you rely on this connect be aware of a limitation. When many people meet in rural areas like Perry, GA will the network be overloaded. At the FMCA conference last week in Perry, GA was the card useless for doing any work on. Delays connection to corporate e-mails (Exchange) was 5-10 minutes if possible at all. Connecting to advanced web-applications was impossible. We had to leave early because of no reliable internet access being available. This was because we need at least 6-8 hours of reliable internet access to do our work (we are not retired yet).

I will be looking at an satellite option to backup the MiFi when at large meetings (FMCA Conventions, EAA AirVenture and other places where a lot of people meets in an area that is normally not used by as many people using Wireless internet). Currently Hughes Net Express 200 Business ($109.99) looks like the best option, but equipment purchase is several thousand $$$

Verizon Wireless should really have stepped up their effort and added several mobile cell-towers to ensure a good experience for their customers. But I guess the general back-bone in Perry, GA could not have carried all the traffic.

I HIGHLY recommend the Verizon Wireless MiFi card. Have been working great for us the last 5 month, except at FMCA in Perry.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 02:52:27 PM by 6311 »

Per Mogensen

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 03:03:06 PM »
Another thing about Wireless internet access is all the talk about 4G compared to 3G. For most people will it not make a difference. Only if you need to download at very high speeds or running HD videos. Your monthly limit could be used in a very short time with 4G compared to 3G, but the limits are not different.

Right now is the number of users on the 4G very low and it looks like it is very fast. 1 years from now a lot of devices will be on the 4G and the congestion will exists on that network too. Paying extra right now is not looking like a good option to me.

Still is 4G only expected to be implemented in mayor metropolitan areas, not really a place you will take you coach anyway. Who has been driving on Manhattan in their Beaver :)

Keith Cooper

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 06:03:43 PM »
Per,
When the coverage quality is degraded because of the  increased traffic volume generated by a convention complain to your service provider. Wireless carriers routinely deploy COW’s (cell site on wheels) for special events to handle the increased traffic volume.  This is particularly true for events where  the wireless carrier has a booth (Verizon had a presence at the FMCA rally). The backhaul of the data traffic from Perry to the appropriate GPRS node (probably in Atlanta) should not be an issue.

As far as 4G most of what is being touted as 4G is actually HSPA+ and it really doesn't provide much thruput improvement.

Jerry Pattison

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 05:56:36 AM »
Ya'all will be happy to know that Death Valley now has Verizon coverage!  At least at Furnace Creek!  Last time I was there, 3 bars!!

I go there often since we live in Las Vegas and have a motorcycle!!  Having coverage there was certainly good news for me! ;D

Bill Sprague

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 03:34:45 PM »
I noticed this week that Verizon is now offering a 4G version of the MiFi or 'Five Spot".  It is made by Samsung and able to downshift to 3G where 4G is not available.

Samsung 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot SCH–LC11

Link:  http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=5636&deviceCategoryId=13