Author Topic: How do I remove the exterior slide latch cover?  (Read 2926 times)

Bruce Sieloff

How do I remove the exterior slide latch cover?
« on: September 18, 2018, 11:46:43 PM »
In replacing the aft driver's side slide seal I didn't get the security latch striker secured correctly and when we brought the slide in the security latch slipped past the striker and behind slide surround protruding inside the coach. I managed to get the latch outside where it belonged by using a 3 foot piece of 1/8" steel strap from Lowes to shoehorn it into position when we extended it.  The bottom latch is bent and the top will not raise into position. Obviously I need to get this repaired and adjusted before we move again to avoid a repeat. (I have been told that this problematic latch is not really necessary to keep the slide from extending when underway so maybe I just remove it?)
I need to remove the exterior cover for the driver's side slide out latch and it's not budging. The cover is black, in three sections apparently, top and bottom "foot" and a center piece. It is held in place at the top by a single screw and appears to slide down over the latch mechanism with no other screws or tabs securing it. I put some lube down one side and tapped with a ball peen hammer and it is really reluctant to move. In the absence of another solution, do I need a bigger hammer?  :o

Don Colapietro

Re: How do I remove the exterior slide latch cover?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 03:29:10 AM »
Not sure how that cover comes off, but I sure would'nt remove the latch. the latch is what keeps the top of the room tight against the coach.

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 05:16:19 AM »
Mine was replaced a couple years ago.  The black cover was riveted on.  While it was on order I drove to Alaska and back without the rear lock installed. It was not a problem. Good luck.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Bruce Sieloff

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 03:02:27 AM »
No rivets in sight it looks like a slide on cover, just a real tall one.

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 03:32:58 PM »
The rivets are black in color and match the cover.  You can bend the bottom striker to hit the metal bar positioned so the striker can slide up and down.  Check to make sure it is contacting properly when closing.  At present, I have to hold my top latch down until it is clear of the upper coach surface when I bring the slide in.  This latch keeps the top of the slide firmly in place and doesn't allow the top of the slide to move which causes chattering as you drive down the road when removed.

Roy Warren
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 06:30:34 PM »
Bruce, I just went to look again.  Mine is in one piece and is riveted with black rivets.  Our coaches are the same years so maybe mine was fixed and modified at some point.  I can send a pic if you want it.  Good luck.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Bruce Sieloff

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2018, 06:25:58 AM »
Thanks for the info. The top latch is actually slightly below the level of the cover and appears to be latched or caught on some internal catch. This is why I want to remove the cover, to clear the jam and make sure everything functions. I am going to try to probe the area and see if I can get the top latch to uncatch itself. I believe that the top latch not moving was the reason the bottom catch popped past the slide surround. I can't find any diagrams of how this thing is built to be able to understand the problem. Powergard is the only name on the unit and it doesn't show up on the internet. :(

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bruce Sieloff

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 05:43:50 AM »
Thanks Joel, boy is there a wealth of information on that website! The issue appears to be a crunched guide panel upstream from the upper latch which keeps the upper latch from rising in response to the lower strike. Bottom goes in but the top goes "no go". I'm in the process of trying to straighten out the bent guide >:( and that should do the job once I get the lower strike positioned correctly. there is very little room to work at the top but by working a pair of needle nose pliers between the cover and the slide wall I can tweak the metal into place. It would be a lot easier if I could get the latch cover off but sweat and colorful language seem to be doing the trick.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2018, 06:00:16 AM »
Most stories I’ve read here involved removing the cover to make the job much easier.  But, hey, whatever (and some choice language) works!

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat