Author Topic: Generator Surges/Misses  (Read 1953 times)

Randy Connell

• BAC Member
Generator Surges/Misses
« on: September 19, 2018, 08:05:43 PM »
Onan 10K in my 2007 Beaver Contessa. Spiratically misses or surges. One day will run 5-6hrs with no issues, next day surges/misses.  No codes. Can vary between 1hr and 3hrs before misses/surges when it does.  When running will support 2 AC and Microwave with no problems.  Tightened fuel lines, ran Generator from One gallon diesel jug and still missed/surged. Changed fuel filter, changed air filter, and changed coolant.  Checked hoses and air flow fittings with no obvious issues. Now just changed thermostat and temperature sender and still surged.  (changed because once it did throw a temp code)  Reset and no further codes sent. No loose electrical connections.  Pulled out Governor actuator/solenoid - opened/closed freely under 12V power. Ohms checked test above limit. Runs cool.

Any more suggestions or ideas, please let me know.  Called Onan Service Center and they only want to set up an appointment no suggestions.  Budget isn't open to that right now.

Thanks,  Randy
Randy and Lonna Connell
2007 Beaver Contessa
2006 Chevy Trailblazer
2014 Cocker Spaniel in tow "ruff ruff"

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Generator Surges/Misses
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 08:29:27 PM »
Randy,
Just a SWAG but based on what you've already done/replaced I'd suspect possible fuel pump issues or air /water in fuel. Does coach run normally and did you get fuel in gallon jug from coach or?
Let us know what you find.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Randy Connell

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 10:04:09 PM »
Jug was new diesel from station. Fuel pump test was fine. MH runs fine on tank. Tank 3/4 full.  Just ran 3 hrs fine now. ????
Randy
Randy and Lonna Connell
2007 Beaver Contessa
2006 Chevy Trailblazer
2014 Cocker Spaniel in tow "ruff ruff"

Randy Stephenson

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 02:04:20 AM »
Randy:

I had a similar issue with my Kabota diesel.  After many hours of trouble shooting and almost buying a fuel pump, I found the problem.  The fuel line from the tank to the pump was not a tight fit, therefore, it was drawing air and only providing enough fuel to run; but would not carry a load.  It was the strangest thing, I could see a full fuel filter bowl so never thought the injectors were not getting enough fuel to run properly. 

So, if you have not already, check hoses and hose clamps.

Randy
Randy & Jane Stephenson
2004 Beaver Patriot Thunder
Lexington 40' 3 Slides
CAT C12 505 HP
The following users thanked this post: Randy Connell