Author Topic: New to us 1997 Monterey startup/airbag/jack procedure  (Read 8989 times)

Rick Penick

Re: New to us 1997 Monterey startup/airbag/jack procedure
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2018, 02:26:19 AM »
Hi Joel Thank you for the info. Your advice is well taken i am becoming very leery of this motorhome but i own it and was too trusting when i bought it. So i was just going through some receipts and found one referencing air leak at leveling valve. Says needs new air leveling valve. References that they found a 250 amp fuse blown traced wiring data logger cable chaffed inframe and clamps from air ride suspension moving up and down. Now this was done with coach having 40700 miles on it now has 46900 miles on it. I cant believe this was never fixed as it doesnt show on the bill it being fixed. So any info on where i get leveling valve? Or who makes it?

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2018, 02:42:23 AM »
Rick,

Beaver manuals for a 1997 Monterey are very poor at best..  I am not aware of any manuals with schematics of airbags, air lines or electrical. Not sure what BCS is referring to about a solenoid, the airbags are controlled by air supply. 

Sorry, I cannot help you on the check engine light or the fuel gauge.  The fuel gauge is most likely a loose, broken or bad connection.

I believe your chassis is a Magnum M4R made by Beaver with Reyco front end and Reyco rear end.  Reyco may have online schematics of those suspensions, but you need the model numbers.  You are correct regarding the frustration of poor manuals and almost non-existing schematics.

Good luck,
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2018, 09:37:38 AM »
I’m not familiar with your particular coach, but Haldex and Neway are common valves for height control.  http://www.heightcontrolvalve.com/haldex-19.htm    Search online and you’ll see a number of sources, and I’d expect them to be available locally at truck and/or auto parts suppliers.  But there are different types I think depending on application, such as trailer, semi-truck, motorcoach, and other uses.  You’ll need to determine the correct one, hopefully from markings on the ones on your coach, or perhaps it’s noted in the document you found.

If the coach is like many, there is one valve for the front of the coach and two for the rear axle.  Any or all could be faulty, and working with the air system is best done by experienced techs, Rick, most of whom would have either a lift or a pit.  They can dump all the air and still easily work safely standing up. An ideal situation would be letting a coach or truck repair facility handle the task;  Henderson’s Lineup would be my preferred venue, or BCS, but may not be geographically plausible for you.  If you have some experience and feel comfortable working on it yourself, of course that’s up to you and can save labor costs.  But I wouldn’t expect a good tech to take particularly long changing out these valves.

At this point I take it you don’t know for sure if the leak mentioned in the document refers to the actual valve (internally) or perhaps just a fitting, if it’s not the more common linkage rubber boot failure, and it doesn’t specify which valve is involved. 

Some coach manuals diagram the air system as a generalization.  If you don’t have at least that, you may find one in one of the newer manuals here in the Coach Assist section, but I can’t say how much your year coach may vary from them.  If needed one of us could probably post for you here a photo or scan of ours if it would be helpful.

Joel
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 09:45:59 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Rick Penick

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2018, 11:45:50 PM »
Karl,

I ordered the Scangauge "D" thank you for that suggestion. I think i can  fix the problem with airbags just i want to be safe in the process i have a friend big garage with concrete will see
if i can get him to let me drive it in there and safely get it up and  properly get jack stands etc under it to get birds eye view of whats going on. I am leaving town for a month so will have to address this when i get back.

Thanks again Rick

Rick Penick

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2018, 11:59:18 PM »
Joel,

Thanks for all the info appreciate it. I will check around in Showlow az and see who may be able to look at the coach. If not to far would be a consideration the coach is dam scary to drive at this point. i will look into the website you posted as well .

Thanks Rick