Author Topic: Hydraulic lines  (Read 2421 times)

Luke Kucaric

Hydraulic lines
« on: September 20, 2018, 04:38:05 PM »
I own 2003 beaver Monterey. I had leak in one off the hoses that operates passengers side slide. When replacing the hose i find out that other hoses were in bad shape,i was able to change all except one that attaches to base of the cylinder. The cylinder goes through main frame, and the part where hose is attached is inside the frame, and water tank is tight against the frame cowering completely that area. Can anyone help me how to get to it without taking water tank down. The cylinder am talking about is on driver side slide. Thank you.

Mike Shumack

Re: Hydraulic lines
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 05:09:58 PM »
Can you abandon the old line in place, and just run a new line to the cylinder (along whatever path is easiest)?

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 06:27:06 PM »
I had the same issue.  I replaced 3 out of 4 of the lines.  Just left the one you are talking about in place because it looks impossible to change without dropping the water tank.  Mike, the hydraulic connection itself is just on the other side of the frame rail up against the water tank.  It might be possible to someone with all the proper tools and lifts to work but I seriously doubt it.  As you know I'm not a mechanic but you have to get inside the sheet metal box that protects the tank just to see it.  I'm hoping that hose lasts forever!!
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Luke Kucaric

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 01:08:37 AM »
Jerry you are right! The protective tank cover need to be removed to get to the cylinder where hose connect. Seam like on my unit previous owner must have removed the cover for some reason because they done poor job putting it back, they taped it together with silver tape and lots of spray foam insulation. I would have to chisel out. Tomorrow i would put it in garage, they would try to getting to it. I would post the results

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 03:07:41 PM »
Jerry you are right! The protective tank cover need to be removed to get to the cylinder where hose connect. Seam like on my unit previous owner must have removed the cover for some reason because they done poor job putting it back, they taped it together with silver tape and lots of spray foam insulation. I would have to chisel out. Tomorrow i would put it in garage, they would try to getting to it. I would post the results
Luke, that is exactly what mine looks like.  It may be a factory job as bad as it looks.  I had Pirtek replacing the hoses and he could not get to that one.  I crawled under there to see what was going on and had a really hard time just seeing the hydraulic fitting.  As I've said many times I am not very mechanical so I'm sure there a bunch here that would not agree with me when I say that it looks impossible to replace.  I know I don't want to see the labor bill at 140 an hour to take it apart and do the work.  Good luck.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Lawrence Tarnoff

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 08:25:23 PM »
I just had the same issue.  My plan was just to abandon the existing line and run a new line between the tank and the slider, which kept slipping out an inch or two while traveling. The shop where I have my coach serviced reported that this plan was a no-go as there is a junction box by the frame rails.  This turned out to be a $2800 repair, mostly labor.  Ouch.