Author Topic: Should air dump switch dump both tanks ?  (Read 2184 times)

Marc Sullivan

Should air dump switch dump both tanks ?
« on: September 20, 2018, 08:43:21 PM »
when using my air dump switch only one tank dumps, (orange needle) Should the Air dump Switch dump both tanks ? 2001 Beaver Patriot Concord, Original Leveling Control replace with SMC manual leveling control.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Should air dump switch dump both tanks ?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 09:14:15 PM »
Marc, your air braking system always has first priority, and air will be retained to supply that.  Dumping air to me has meant the bags and not both tanks.  The “green” tank (brake supply) should only empty when the engine is off so the compressor/dryer is out of the mix, and you open the tank’s drain ports.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Marc Sullivan

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 10:24:56 PM »
Hi, I use the air dump prior to leveling my coach to take it off the air bags, so the parking brake is applied and I am not using the service brakes. The levelers are more effective with the air bags dumped and this is the given procedure. Perhaps I have an issue with the front air bags not dumping correctly with the air dump switch as they do not dump with the dump switch but the rears and green indicator needle on my air gauge indicates 0 the orange needle maintains the pressure reading and my front air bags are not dumped. As noted previously when I use the dump switch the green indicator will dump but the orange stays high. I have been using the air system petcocks to remove the air from the system prior to leveling, but it seems to me I should be able to dump it with my air dump switch.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 11:04:46 PM »
Marc,
The air dump switch should dump both tanks.

Gerald

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 04:14:45 AM »
On my 06 Partriot Thunder when the Dump switch is activated it only dumps all the air bags and not any of the air tanks.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 08:10:43 AM »
Perhaps it’s not true on all coaches thus Gerald’s comment?  Scratching my head there.  The HWH panel and the Monaco rocker air dump switches on our Monterey, probably like Lee’s Patriot, both let air out of the bags only.

From our manual:
“AIR DUMP:
Dumps air from the air bags. May aid in leveling the motorhome with the hydraulic levelers. Releasing the air from air bags will give the leveler more range of travel for leveling. Ignition must be in accessory or run position.”

Pressure protection valves (PPV) on accessory lines close and block air flow to devices at tank 60psi and below, so there’s at least that always available to the brakes.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat