Author Topic: Leveling extend and retract times SMC Leveling control.  (Read 2212 times)

Marc Sullivan

Leveling extend and retract times SMC Leveling control.
« on: September 20, 2018, 08:49:55 PM »
I have the SMC Leveling control replacement on my 2001 Beaver Patriot. What are reasonable extend and retract times ? It seems that the retract all function takes a long time to complete. (several minutes to light off). seems the rears take longer then the front. The rear pair and front pair seem to be operating at the same rates so thankfully,  I don't appear to have any twisting going on

Paul Meehan

• BAC Member
  • Travel with DW and two K9's
Re: Leveling extend and retract times SMC Leveling control.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 06:23:47 PM »
My experience is similar to what is documented in the “SMC Leveling System” document.

Automatic mode:
Power switch turned on.  Self-diagnostic mode for approx. 40 seconds.  Directional lights illuminate to indicate low sides of motorhome.  The level light will flash if coach is level.
Press “Auto” button on control pad to release air from suspension.  The air dump light will illuminate and the process will take approximately 90 seconds.
The system should now extend jacks to the axles and begin the leveling process.  Once complete, the green level light will come on and it is then safe to move about the motorhome.

The time it takes the coach to level once the air is dumped varies but it takes from 60 to 90 seconds depending upon how far out of level we are.
It is interesting to note that it seems to take quite awhile for the leveling action to take place after the air is dumped.  I often wonder if the system has completed the process or is there a problem.  So far after a seemingly lengthy period of no activity the leveling process begins.

Retracting:
After leveling I normally turn off the leveling system.  I do not leave in “Automatic mode.”  I start engine and allow to run until at least 110 lbs. is indicated on air pressure gauge.
Therefore, I press the manual retract button until all jacks are up, as indicated by the “ALL UP” light.
 The time to retract is normally 30 to 45 seconds.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 06:33:55 PM by Paul Meehan »
Paul and Peggy
St. Johns, Florida
2001 Patriot Ticonderoga 37' 2 Slides (2015-2019)
2014 Newmar Dutch Star 4369 (2019-Current)
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee  Limited

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
Re: Leveling extend and retract times SMC Leveling control.
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 06:33:57 PM »
The retract/extend times are extremely variable depending on a number of conditions.  The length of extension, cleanliness of the jack shafts, and fullness of the fluid reservoir. Just do not worry about the time it takes for the retract/extend process.
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida