Author Topic: Is Air Bag height measure to underside of lower mounting plate ('05 Patriot)?  (Read 2452 times)

Mike Shumack

I thought I was measuring my ride height correctly per the manual, but someone on another forum thinks I'm doing it wrong.

The manual is a little confusing due to the way Beaver drew the bottom measuring line. I think it is showing the underside of the airbag mount plate - someone else thinks it it is the bottom surface where the air bag attaches (top of bottom plate).

The drawing "points to" the lower mount plate (but does not specifically say "measure to here") and then the arrow and line seems to indicate a measuring point above the underside or plate.

What is the proper measuring point for the bottom?  Is the measuring gauge shown going to the underside of plates or resting on top of the plates?

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Mike, it’s the distance between the proximal plate surfaces.  So for you (and a good number of us) it’s 10” from the top of the bottom plate to the bottom of the top plate, or look at it as the “inside” measurement.

Your illustration is indeed a tad ambiguous because the bottom finger of their gauge should be shown extending atop the bottom plate and doesn’t, but intends to show an “inside” distance, or the length of the rubber bag itself.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Mike Shumack

Thanks Joel. I was wrong in my interpretation of the drawing (that drawing is from the manual, as I'm sure you know).
I was measuring from the top of top plate to bottom of bottom plate (outside dimensions) which then includes the 1/4" thick plates that attach to framework, and the coach does seem to sit a little high that way. Using the inside dimensions  from plates will drop coach a 1/2".
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 10:30:52 PM by Mike Shumack »

Gerald Farris

Mike,
Using the inside dimensions where you are measuring the air bag height (the method I have always used), will actually raise the coach as apposed to using the outside of the mounting plates.

Gerald 

Mike Humble

• BAC Member
  • BAC Past President 2014-2018
I was told by BCS to use top to top, or bottom to bottom which would result in the same result.
Mike
2008 Marquis 45' Cat C-15 600hp

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
See page 251 of the 2002 Marquis Owners Manual:
http://beaveramb.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/2002-Marquis-Owners-Manual.pdf
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Mike Shumack

Thanks. That diagram is much clearer.

That Marquis manual is very nice. Much better than my Patriot manual.

I did not know the Marquis Tag Axle used "kingpins" and has adjustable toe (alignment).

I guess that's what you get when you buy the best.