Author Topic: Absolutely baffled  (Read 3533 times)

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
Absolutely baffled
« on: September 23, 2018, 02:36:28 PM »
 This is again is in reference to my AC compressor problem on my Patriot Thunder. I have bought a new one and should also replace the air dryer. I have looked high and low for the dryer and spent more than 30 minutes under the front cap looking for it with no success.  It is not on the firewall and is not under the bumper or around the condenser.  I know what it looks like because  I have seen photos.  The service ports for the AC is located just behind the compressor itself.... BUT where the heck is that receiver dryer?????  Roy Mueller will be helping me next weekend and I want to have all the parts with me when I get there. So I need to know the location and have the right receiver dryer in hand ready to put on.
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Absolutely baffled
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 02:58:41 PM »
Hi Fred,
 The condenser has 2 hoses attached to it. 1 comes from the compressor with hot Freon, after the condenser has cooled it, then it goes to the dryer and from there to the expansion valve before the evaporator. Seems like you could trace the hose from the condenser to the dryer.
Blessings, Fred Brooks
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 03:45:00 PM »
Yep... I have traced those hoses. The one coming in to the bottom is easy to see and trace. The one coming out the top disappears higher behind a crossbeam... out of sight. If it is there it would be nearly impossible to access without taking the front cap off.
Fred & Cindy

Mike Shumack

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 09:19:33 PM »
Fred, maybe start at the other end - can you see the Expansion Valve. Should be sticking out of the Evaporator Housing (which is the part that mounts to back of dashboard).
On my coach, I can run the generator out and look up into that opening above generator and see it. The Receiver-Drier is located somewhere in between the Condenser and the Expansion Valve. Since you did not find next to the Condenser, perhaps it is near the Expansion Valve.
The following users thanked this post: Fred Cook

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 11:33:50 PM »
Fred, maybe start at the other end - can you see the Expansion Valve. Should be sticking out of the Evaporator Housing (which is the part that mounts to back of dashboard).
On my coach, I can run the generator out and look up into that opening above generator and see it. The Receiver-Drier is located somewhere in between the Condenser and the Expansion Valve. Since you did not find next to the Condenser, perhaps it is near the Expansion Valve.

Mike,  I have a side generator that does not pull  out.  At least I don’t think it pulls out. I have never tried it.   I would like to know which receiver dryer to purchase Would you be able to tell me which dryer I should purchase now?  Thanks
Fred & Cindy