Author Topic: Windshield seal problems  (Read 7612 times)

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Windshield seal problems
« on: October 12, 2010, 04:59:04 AM »
I've had windshield seal difficulties since it was replaced in 2007 under warranty by Monaco Harrisburg due to improper original installation.  At that time, the windshield cracked just sitting for a couple of months on my home RV pad.

A year or so later, I had Loren at Bend look at a spot over the driver's top corner that bulged out creating a gap between the black seal and the fiberglass cap.  He didn't seem to think it was all that serious, though I, as a new modern coach owner, was concerned.  Once and only once, while the coach was parked on its home pad, did I find water on the dash in front of the steering wheel.  

Today, after nearly 2 years of being parked, I removed the outside fabric windshield cover in preparation for washing and waxing the front cap.  I didn't see evidence of the previous bulge, but did come across a 2 inch disconnect between inner and outer seal sections as shown in the second photograph.  I carefully pried the two back together, but I'm not nuts about the cracking in the rubber over the driver's side, and a section of the upper seal near midcap seems to be not tucked in under the cap properly;  perhaps a couple of summers trapped under the fabric sunshield caused puckering of the rubber from heat?  :-/

The front is on a nearly level concrete pad, and the rear is on ballast rock very slightly downhill from the front pad to facilitate roof runoff.  I've tried to set the rear tires as level as possible, side to side, and let all the air out of the bags to avert prior problems with the left rear settling over time, putting a twist in things.  The result is I'd like to think there is minimal twist in the coach and cap, and consistent bay door gap alignment seems to indicate I've achieved that.

Has anyone else experienced deterioration in the rubber of the windshield seal as I have, and is the situation considered serious?  Thanks for any opinions or suggested resolutions proffered.  (Please excuse the dirt - I took the pix before washing the cap.)

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

LEAH DRAPER

Re: Windshield seal problems
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 02:19:18 PM »
Joel
On my previous Beaver I had the seal develop splitting cracks at the corners, especially the lower corners.  I finally had it replaced.  So far my new coach is doing great.  I do use a protectant on the rubber to hopefully keep it from deteriorating.  
I would suspect that you may still have a bad install on the window maybe??
Leah

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 04:30:48 AM »
I had my 2000 Beaver Marquis Amethyst windshield rubber gaskets replaced at Lazydays after I bought the coach in March this year. The gaskets had shrunk and there was a large leak around the top at both corners as well as a small crack in th drivers windshield. Lazydays removed both windshields and using a very sticky black caulking replaced both gaskets and then installed the glass.  The problem with leaks was possibly caused by the hydraulic jacks twisting the coach. Lazydays says this is the number 1 cause of windshield glass failures . I now use the air levelling and then manually lower the hydraulic jacks evenly front and then back till they just touch the ground. So far so good !!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 03:39:08 AM by 4115 »

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 01:46:18 PM »
Lazy Days replaced the rubber gasket in our windshield along with some windshield opening work on our 110,000 mile 1997 Patriot within the last Month. We were very satisfied with the result. We stayed at the campground last week (granddaughter lives in Tampa)  and I told the collision center advisor Kim Abate of a minor issue with a covered snap for the windshield cover and he had the tech come fix it within 30 minites of the request. The tech also came back the morning we left and checked and resealed the area arround the snap.  The tech also mentioned to me that the leveling jacks cause most of the windshield problems.  

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 03:44:57 AM »
Glad to hear Lazydays did a good job. I could not fault their glass shop when they replaced our gaskets last year. I was given several tubes of the caulking for future issues free !!!