Author Topic: Dash A/C R134a freon capacity?  (Read 3782 times)

steve zannella

Dash A/C R134a freon capacity?
« on: September 26, 2018, 11:19:45 PM »

Does anybody know the Freon r134a capacity on a 2004 marquis Roadmaster M chassis.
My service tech says' he called Monaco and they said 3 1/2 lbs.
The 2003 owners manual for 2003 Marquis says' 5 1/4 lbs.
The 2004 owners manual for 2004 Roadmaster S chassis says' 5 1/4 lbs.
I'd like to get it right so the compressor doesn't freeze from over charging.
Thanks

Mike Shumack

Re: Dash A/C R134a freon capacity?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 12:01:37 AM »
The 2005 Patriot is probably the same as the Marquis on this. The attached page is from my Owners Manual.
However, you should adjust the final charge according to the gauge readings. It ends up being about 40 on the low side and 210 on the high side with outside air temp around 90 F (actual pressures depend on ambient temperature.

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 03:30:32 PM »
When I replaced my A/C compressor last spring I drained all the oil out of the old unit, and measured the amount. Drained the new compressor and measured the amount. Then added enough oil to make up the difference plus a oz or two as the old compressors front seal was leaking oil. After evac of the system I put in around 4.5 lbs of 134A (per Manual), started up the motor and A/C full blast and let it run adding a little freon at a time until the dash vent temps were down around 50 degrees. Outside temp that day was 74 degrees. Ended up with 5.4 lbs of freon in the system. This whole process took all afternoon, add a little and wait, add a little and check temp and pressures.
We run the dash air non stop unless its really cold outside, performed like a champ all year.
 With these coaches all being built a bit different it would be very hard to tell how much freon each needs to perform the best for all coaches. A auto or pickup which are all built the same its easy to tell how much freon each takes.

steve zannella

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 04:39:03 PM »
Thanks Guys

It took about 5 1/4 lbs, so much for REV CO /  Monaco tech support and so much for Rincon Truck learning Beaver A/C systems ended up paying for 10 hours of tech labor to find out how to rewire the condenser fans which stopped working. They couldn't figure how the system worked so they ended up hot rewiring the condenser.