Author Topic: Looking for Salvaged Marquis owner in Alabama  (Read 4173 times)

Tom Barnard

Looking for Salvaged Marquis owner in Alabama
« on: September 10, 2018, 01:32:12 AM »
Hi All.
I have a very interesting problem. I'm trying to find the current owner or past owner of a Marquis that was salvaged in Alabama in 2014 and sold in 2015. These are the pictures of the coach in question. There was a VIN number mix up with my coach and this one when the coach was built and I'm trying to get it corrected.
I believe the coach was registered in Montana, but I'm not absolutely sure. The salvage company has contacted the current owner but is unwilling to give me the their info.
You can contact me through the board or email me directly at base341@me.com
Thanks for any help.
Tom.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 01:15:19 AM by Tom Barnard »

Mike Shumack

Re: Looking for Salvaged Marquis owner in Alabama
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 11:04:36 AM »
Perhaps one of those DMV VIN searches will help.

In Florida it's https://services.flhsmv.gov/mvcheckweb/

You can try/google for Alabama and see it they have similar search feature. It won't tell you the name of owner, but it will give you name of the bank if financed and then you may be able to get in touch with bank to get info you need.

Doug Allman

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 12:56:48 PM »
Tom, Because you can see the Montana lisc plate you may be able to trace the owner thru this. We have a Montana LLC and I have a contact thru that that may be willing to help you see whom registered this coach. Call 231-218-1119 or email me douglasallman@gmail.com for this contact info if you so want.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 02:38:35 PM »
The salvage company has contacted the current owner but is unwilling to give me the their info.

If Salvage company has been in contact with Owner - what's the problem? Is Owner refusing to help?

You didn't get into the details, but I'm assuming you bought this salvaged coach and there is a now problem with the title.
If so, the salvage company should straighten it out or take the coach back.

Tom Barnard

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 07:33:59 PM »
Thanks for the replies.
No, I don't own the Marquis in the pictures. The VIN on my Monterrey was somehow associated with this motorhome. I'm not sure how it happened but it may have been a mix up at the factory when it was made. All of the VIN plates on my motorhome match and coincide with what Monaco records show.
I think one of the VIN plates on that Marquis is wrong. I'd like to contact the owner of that coach to help speed the correction process along if possible.
Tom

Mike Shumack

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 09:41:23 PM »
Thanks for the additional info Tom. None of my business - but I am curious.

If all your VIN numbers match and you have the title and Monaco records agree with your information, what is the problem?

Is this a case of someone (finance company or DMV records or CarFax or such) saying your coach has a salvage title?

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 09:47:34 PM »
It’s possible that the Marquis was stolen and the VIN plates on it counterfeited with another legit coach’s, which unfortunately turned out to be yours.  It brings to mind when a few years back a fellow here’s rig disappeared, from Canada maybe?  Perhaps a member with a better memory recalls more than I.  If the “owner” of the Marquis doesn’t want to be found or cooperate, that’s likely why.

Until the salvage company does due diligence and determines the true origin of the coach, say by tracing back to the factory some components’ serial numbers or something, you may just have to tolerate any potential inconveniences the situation presents.  If the unit was technically “salvaged”, then either an insurance company or the salvage company are the current owners.  If stolen, an insurance company is not likely involved, or may have accordingly refused any claim.  Either way, the Marquis isn’t legitimate as is.

That said, the value to the salvage company is as parts.  But some insurance company that originally reimbursed the theft victim may have some interest here.  The best thing for you is if someone with a financial interest can investigate the Marquis’ true history.  In this day and age I’m not sure the constabulary will spend any resources researching anything, unless someone in Alabama takes a first step of writing down the serial nos. of say a fridge, microwave, engine and tranny, etc., and tracing at least one to a factory Marquis.

Just speculating.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 11:46:14 PM »
My recollection that was Dave Cunningham from Victoria, BC, Canada.  He parked his newly purchased, but not new, 2003/2004 Marquis in his driveway beside his house or business after returning from a trip.  The next morning it was gone.  It was never found and the ferries were watching for it in case the thieves tried to move it to the mainland.  His best guess is it was stolen and parted out from the island.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Tom Barnard

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2018, 03:04:47 AM »
Thought I would bump this back up.. Any help would be appreciated :)