Author Topic: Backup warning system for motorhome  (Read 8989 times)

Roland DuBree

Backup warning system for motorhome
« on: October 04, 2018, 08:18:42 PM »
Has anyone installed a backup driver warning alarm system (like they have on the rear of newer cars) on their motorhome? What worked best?

Roy C Tyler

Re: Backup warning system for motorhome
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 10:51:26 PM »
I have a rear view camera and a wife that pounds on the side of the motorhome and yells obscenities when I get to close to something.
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett

Doug Allman

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 11:48:13 PM »
We also have the rear camera and have somewhat solved the pounding and cussing by using our cell phones and talking to each other.

Basically if the dear wife is not signaling you that means she is not in the camera view (which happens way too often) and you have no idea on what to do next besides put it in park and go outside to find the dear wife. That is usually when the coarse words start. Even then the hand signals are not even close to what your understanding the meaning is meant to be.

Amazing we have all this technology and it only took us about 15 years to figure out how to use it and look civil to other park occupants whom always seem to be watching.

You ever try to figure out what both hands moving in opposing directions means, you will love the cell phone plain old english.
The following users thanked this post: Paul Meehan

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 12:04:54 AM »
My wife knows me well and understands that I sometimes don't!  If I go the wrong way I can tell by the look on her face that it was the wrong way.  If I don't see her in my mirror I will stop immediately and won't move unless she is back in my mirror.  She is really the only one I trust.  Although it's sometimes clear that she doesn't trust me much! 
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 02:46:02 AM »
We use these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-Talkabout-T5100-Two-Way-Radio-Walkie-Talkies-Blue-With-Belt-Clips/173465409016?epid=96868424&hash=item28635815f8:g:KJUAAOSwamBbb0no

The only problem we have is when Becky doesn't move as I back up, thus eventually being too close to the loud engine running. Can't hear her. Over the years we have eliminated the problem with patience and practice.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Paul Meehan

• BAC Member
  • Travel with DW and two K9's
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 03:10:51 AM »
We use Motorola two-way radios as well.  Most of the time DW is in sight via mirror as I can see her lips moving as she talks into the radio but I hear nothing from the radio.  Once the button is pushed I catch the last half of her message. ::)
But it's all good!
Paul and Peggy
St. Johns, Florida
2001 Patriot Ticonderoga 37' 2 Slides (2015-2019)
2014 Newmar Dutch Star 4369 (2019-Current)
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee  Limited

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2018, 03:29:11 AM »
I am with Doug, in that we always use our cell phones and have been for years unless we are in an area that has no service. In that case we break out a pair of family radios like others have mentioned. They work if you remember to push the button, but not near as well as a cell phone.

Gerald

Larry Fritz

• BAC Member
  • 98 Patriot Ticonderoga - 37' Blue/White, 3126B CAT
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2018, 04:16:53 AM »
ROLAND: Here is what I did as a single person. Cell phones do people like me little good backing up.  So, I installed a 4cam system (in addition to the factory backup camera) on my 98 Patriot. It took me 4 days (working alone) because I did a very professional installation and you cannot tell this was not on the coach when it came from the factory. But, it took me nearly a week to do so. Lots of holes to drill, routing decisions, panels to remove, etc. I took my time installing to get a really professional job.

Now, I love it both backing up and on the highway. Being able to see clearly 5 lanes wide behind you is wonderful. "If you see a car, then don't change lanes until you figure out how far back" is my rule. I especially like the two rear cameras: The factory install mainly looks down at the toad and my new one looks up and over the toad. I run both cameras when driving or backing. At a campground, if you are backing into low branch tree infested area, then I also tilt the factory side mirrors to show the roof lines. All of this really works for me. No bruises yet.

Larry Fritz
Larry Fritz

Roland DuBree

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2018, 08:25:55 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  But just what did you add? Sounds like another camera system hard wired from the back of coach up to drive area.  Can you give me some more details on just what and where items were mounted?