Author Topic: Transmission heating while parking  (Read 4115 times)

Lawlor Wakem

• BAC Member
Transmission heating while parking
« on: October 05, 2018, 03:55:19 PM »
I have noticed that my transmission heats up while in traffic or maneuvering to park yet it is fine on the highway the engine temp does not. What could cause this my coolant level is fine
2003 Marquis

Guy Pryor

Re: Transmission heating while parking
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 02:21:00 AM »
I have noticed that my transmission  will heat up when in stop and go traffic. I now that stop and go traffic is hard on the transmission, Also being stooped at a long red light. So when I am in ether off those situations I try to shift to natural when ever posable.

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 04:28:28 AM »
Labor, when stopped in traffic and transmission heats up, what is happening your transmission
Is in gear and your foot is on the brake waiting for light to change. The torque converter is
Being held back by vehicle foot brake and is in a stalled out mode which in turn is heating up the
transmission fluid. This is normal but may I suggest a long light shift on neutral where you
would not stall the torque converter. Dave Atherton Retired CAT mechanic
The following users thanked this post: Lawlor Wakem

Lawlor Wakem

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 03:47:14 AM »
Many thanks for the info I will try to shift into neutral when in these situations this makes perfect sense as we have been in traffic that was creeping and this did not happen again thanks
2003 Marquis