Author Topic: Fuel Leak at the RV Park  (Read 3594 times)

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
Fuel Leak at the RV Park
« on: October 06, 2018, 03:50:26 PM »
Stopped in Claremore, OK for a day to see the Will Rogers Museum. We parked, set up and went out to visit the museum. When we came back, the entire pad was covered in diesel fuel and it was almost pouring out. A very sizeable trickle. I aired-up so I could put the slides in to get a closer look and put an oil pan under the leak. I'm not able to see the entire tank, so I couldn't see where it was originating. However, a few minutes later the leak stopped. For about 30 minutes there was a secondary drip from the frame rails, not directly by the tank. I'm guessing some of it ran along the rails and was dripping there after coming back to ride height. I checked it every 2 hours all night long, and the leak has stopped. Lots of scenarios going through my head as to where it is and what's causing it.
1. Some kind of chafing or pinching on a hose? What hose? The fill tube/hose?
2. Something on the frame when leveling is mis-aligned?
3. Why would it stop when aired-up to ride height?
4. A hole in the side of the tank?

I did re-level the coach after the first time it stopped, just to see. The leak started again. This particular pad slopes back to front, so it took quite a bit of raising the rear to level. I air-up again and the leak stopped again.

For the last 1-1/2 hours I have been on the phone with service places to see if I could get in today on my way east to Springfield. I just need someone to be able to look under there and tell me where the leak is originating. I got every excuse in the book, and they are somewhat understandable. It's Saturday, most are open until noon or 3 p.m. They are busy. I primarily tried around Joplin as it's on I-44 and on my route. Freightliner (I have seen dozens of posts here regarding recommendations to take service to Freightliner) flat out said they don't work on anything except Freightliner custom chassis.

One guy was nice enough to suggest the shop at the Petro Truck Stop on I-44; said they have a shop and might be willing to look at it. So, I'm going to try that on the way through.

One more dumb question. Does the fill tube that is a common problem for many Beaver owner's cause a siphoning effect of some kind? I filled up with fuel just before arriving here.

Any ideas or experiences regarding this issue would be appreciated.

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Gerald Farris

Re: Fuel Leak at the RV Park
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 05:17:27 PM »
Stan,
There is not much that I can tell you until someone actually gets under the coach and looks at the problem. Fuel filler hoses are a common leak especially with a full tank. I had a similar issue on my 2000 Marquis where a frame member for the front suspension cut the filler hose when the front suspension was lowered, and when it was raised back to ride height the pressure was taken off the hose and the leak slowed to almost nothing. So I wrapped the hose with rescue tape, and just drove on the bottom half of my tank until I could replace the hose and adjust the angle for more clearance before I was able to fill the tank.

Fuel leaks can be very dangerous, so be careful in driving if you are leaking fuel. If at all possible, someone should look at the leak before driving, and maybe make a temporary repair with something like rescue tape.   

Gerald 
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 06:39:07 PM »
I had a fuel leak in the hose going from my fuel filter to the motor. Luckily we were home when I discovered it. I took the hose off, took it to NAPA and they made me a new one. I do know of a diesel shop in Lebanon, MO that is open Saturday and Sunday. They mostly service their own trucks but have squeezed me in for service a few times. It is Bulldog Trucking. You may try giving Paul, the Shop Foreman, a call at 816-492-0195.
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

rick Kirchner

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 09:36:41 PM »
another item not to overlook - the genie lines and the main diesel fuel return line. 

From the factory, mine were of gasoline.  Was at a race boon docking, running the genie because it was very hot, came back from a session on track to find fuel pouring from the tank.  the lines failed where they went back in to the top of the tank.

That said, has anyone cut and trimmed a hole in-between the seats to easily get at the top of the tank?  To get to the lines they had to take a lot of the suspension off before they could drop the tank.  The repair was $$$$ and eve since I've been thinking about cutting a hatch for access.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 11:09:25 PM »
Update: Traveled from Claremore, OK to Springfield, MO after not having a leak after 8:00 pm last night. No leaks on the way here. We are boondocking at Bass Pro Shops in Springfield for a night and then going on to  Osage Beach in the Ozarks. The Bulldog Trucking that Fred Cook mentioned is right on the way, and exactly half way. I called the number and got a message that the voice mail box was not set up, so I will wait until tomorrow morning and see if he answers. For sure I will stop on the way to Osage Beach.

No leaks here in Springfield. I think Gerald hit the nail on the head. As long as we don't level, we are okay. Need to get it resolved asap, and if not tomorrow, we'll just head home and take it to the service center.

Thank you so much for the responses.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Richard Davis

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 11:31:04 PM »
Stan

I have an '06 Beaver and just recently experienced the same problem.  If your '05 is plumbed like my '06, there is a 1" vent hose that goes from side to side between the fuel fill ports.  That 1" hose goes through holes in the frame (right in front of and at the top of the fuel tank).  Over time and vibration, the hose gets worn and leaks.  For a short time, I just did not fill the tank full (it will only leak through that vent hose when the tank is full).  For a more permanent solution, I cut the hose where it goes through the frame (mine leaked on the drivers side) and replaced a short piece with a metal pipe (I used a scrap piece of 1" electrical conduit secured with hose clamps.)  That is only a vent line and not a pressure line, so high pressure is not an issue.  If you extend the generator all the way out, you can look up and see that 1" hose running from side to side.  Also, if you shine a flashlight in the area behind the driver's side fuel port (top front of the left front tire) you will see that hose going from the fuel port across and through a hole in the frame.  If that area is where it is wet with fuel, then the vent hose is your problem.  At least it is a fairly simple fix.

Richard
06 Monterey Ventura IV, C9 400 hp
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Stan Simpson

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 11:50:12 PM »
Update: Traveled from Claremore, OK to Springfield, MO after not having a leak after 8:00 pm last night. No leaks on the way here. We are boondocking at Bass Pro Shops in Springfield for a night and then going on to  Osage Beach in the Ozarks. The Bulldog Trucking that Fred Cook mentioned is right on the way, and exactly half way. I called the number and got a message that the voice mail box was not set up, so I will wait until tomorrow morning and see if he answers. For sure I will stop on the way to Osage Beach.

No leaks here in Springfield. I think Gerald hit the nail on the head. As long as we don't level, we are okay. Need to get it resolved asap, and if not tomorrow, we'll just head home and take it to the service center.

Thank you so much for the responses.

Stan...  The number I gave you is the shop foreman’s cell phone so you should be able to contact him. The main office is closed on the weekends but the shop works on the weekends. They may be able to assist. Also, we don’t live too far from Osage beach, Lake of the Ozarks. We live in Saint Robert close to Fort Leonard Wood. Have a great time!
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired