Author Topic: 2002 Marquis roof structure  (Read 2550 times)

Ken Johnson

2002 Marquis roof structure
« on: October 06, 2018, 07:43:02 PM »
Yesterday we tried to have the windshield replaced. The old one had cracks that the installer said were stress caused, and since the new windshield won't fit that makes sense. A piece of delaminated plywood fell down during the install attempt. Water damage is also evident on the trim around the visors. Any help on how the structure of the front of the roof is designed and how to repair/raise it will be appreciated. The coach is waiting at a local fiberglass shop for repairs.

Mike Shumack

Re: 2002 Marquis roof structure
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 11:07:09 PM »
I didn't see any build/construction info for the 2002 Marquis, but the 2004 brochure shows this construction.
It's probably the same for the 2002.
I hope this photo is legible, I had to shrink it a bunch (to get file size under 300KB).

Doug Allman

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 04:00:27 AM »
Ken, On our 2004 Marquis I had the entire front cap exposed from the interior of the coach to install a new swing up TV.
Inside the front cap there was nothing other than one length of R-13 fiberglass batt at 15" wide. This is the full extent of what was in our front cap. Now the front cap is 27" in length from lower side where the windshield fits into it to the top area of the cap where it joins the flat roof structure. Construction in the front cap is only a fiberglass shell and is nothing like the flat roof areas.
Monaco saved some nickles with the 15" in a 27" cavity. Absolutely worthless.
One thing to check is the clearance lights as we found all of ours cracked and this is most likely where the water was or is coming in as these lights are not sealed on the interior side. In replacing clearance lights we used LED units. After getting all the clearance lights installed we taped over the wire connections and then we used a foam kit that you can buy at any box store, which comes with a 6' length of hose and multiple spray tips, and we insulated the entire front cap with this spray foam at about 2-3 inch thickness. The foam in these kits is a closed cell foam and at 2" thickness it is a vapor barrier, ie it will not let water penetrate thru it. It also made a very significant positive impact on the wind noise as well as staying warm in cold weather and keeping heat out during summer.
The foam kits run around $345.00 at most any box store. Menards, Home Depot, Lowes. You can also use them more than one time as you change out the spray nozzle and can spray again in a day or week or month using the remaining contents in the kit. This foam works great in many other areas under the coach to silence the road noise.
The following users thanked this post: Mike Tomas

Mike Shumack

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 12:14:31 PM »
Doug, does the overhead cabinetry need to come out to spray foam, or can this be done without major disassembly of the interior?

Doug Allman

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 05:55:44 PM »
Basically you can just take out the center mounted TV and with some contortions or a younger helper with long arms like my son it can be done without taking down the two side cabinets. If there is anything you do not want sprayed you can cover it easiest with tin foil by wrapping it around it. Some things you can cover and leave covered si it is accessible if you ever need to get to it. If you cover it with the spray foam it is difficult at best to uncover it.
Watch for the openings on the corners of the cap if you have cabinets connected to the front cap cabinets going down the side of the coach as there is a large hole for access into these cabinets. You cannot get too much foam in the front cap to minimize the wind noise and have better control of the heat and cold.
I never took the left and right cap cabinets down but had most of their structure apart to do new larger TV mount.