Author Topic: Sink plumbing issue to watch for  (Read 2505 times)

rick Kirchner

Sink plumbing issue to watch for
« on: October 14, 2018, 05:03:31 PM »
I don't know if this problem exists in other places besides the Safari-based Montereys, but I recently had a problem that was fixable but a real PITA.  Beaver used some massively heavy and stiff white plastic hose (its available at home depot - some kid of pool hose) to connect the sink drain to the grey tank.  it slinkys under the slide-out.  it is hose clamped to two large barbed fittings. 

On a recent trip we started seeing water come out from under the slide on the OUTSIDE of the coach - the hose had split at the sink fitting because it wasn't long enough so it was constantly stressed and unless the coach is way off level it will drain to the outside.  After pulling out all the drawers and slides it was obvious what the problem was.  There was a lot of nastiness from food particles in the sink water that had to be cleaned up.

Easy to see didn't make it easy to fix however.  This was one of those things that was put together before the rest of the cabinetry was added.  Had to work laying on the floor on my back reaching over my head and relying on feel, and for the most part using only one arm with the bottom of the cabinet digging into my shoulder while other parts abused my forearm.  There is no way to replace the white hose with identical material.  It requires an enormous amount of force to drive onto the barb and there's no way to get that force in the positions you are in.  if you put it on the barb first, you'll never get the threads lined up to get the fitting in, and even if you did, the hose won't allow it to rotate to screw the fitting in and you still have to deal with the other end somehow.

Solution came via a pool supply store.  They have fittings to allow the use of that grey corrugated pool vac hose.  It's extremely flexible and took about a tenth of the time to install than it took to remove the white hose. 

Mike Tomas

• BAC Member
Re: Sink plumbing issue to watch for
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 05:42:13 PM »
I was told earlier this year uppon purchase of my coach that the service department found a similar issue with our kitchen slide. They two had to remove several drawers to get to that hose, but did not go into too much detail on the difficulties of the repair.

They fixed it immediately upon discovery and before we signed and drove off. There have been no issues since.

Safari coach listed in my sig.
-Just my .02¢ of input. -Not to be confused with the $2.00 input from others.

[]\/[]Tomas
Phoenix, Arizona • Region 4
2000 Patriot Thunder 425
Princeton • Ketchum Creek
Magnum C-Series “Big Cat” Chassis
CAT 425 • Joined 201804

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 08:58:42 PM »
Rick,
Next time try heating the hose with DW's hair dryer. Once flexible, it will go on barb fairly easy. BTW, my 01 Contessa used the flexible pool type hose and it spilt after getting hung up on a cabinet corner. I replaced it with the heavy spa hose, making sure it had enough slack to accommodate the slide action and applying retainers as needed to ensure it would always retract and extend in the same fashion.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

rick Kirchner

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 11:47:10 PM »
This was on our way back west with the Motorhome before Hurricane Florence hit.  I had a race the next day and really needed to have the kitchen working and I had other things to attend to.  Will make that hose an occasional inspection item.   We were a half day behind because when we pulled the coach out of storage, virtually every surface was covered with mold.  Took us about six hours to clean it.  Now I know why - with the broken hose, the heat evaporated the grey tank into the coach.  we always plug all the drains just because of this potentiality. 

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 12:56:53 AM »
The topic has come up several times since my experience in 2012.  A representative thread can be seen here:  http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,3537.msg27459.html#msg27459

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat