Author Topic: Starter for Cummins 8.3  (Read 2193 times)

Roy C Tyler

Starter for Cummins 8.3
« on: October 14, 2018, 09:49:50 PM »
The starter refused to work this last Thursday so I called Roadside Assistance.  The first guy came and replaced the two Starting batteries, which were five years old, and it still would not start.  He said it was the starter and he did not have the tools to remove it.  He called another guy and he was able to remove it. By using the engine serial number, he found a starter and had it dropped shipped over night.  The new starter is half the size of the old one and half the weight. It did require a special ground cable ($155) from the batteries to the ground post on the starter. The new starter ($550 + shipping) works great.

I thought I would post so that people would know that exact replacements may not be available and better/improved parts will work. I figured it reduced my total coach weight by at least 40 pounds.

George Harwell

Re: Starter for Cummins 8.3
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 01:08:05 PM »
Roy, thanks for the update on the starter. I have the same starter on my 350 CUMMINS. Can you post the make, model number and part number of your new starter. I have over 139,000 on my Monterey so like to be prepared when the time comes. Have a great day!

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 04:53:26 PM »
George,
The most cost effective way to deal with a starter failure is normally to have it overhauled at a good automotive electrical shop that specializes in starter and alternator rebuilding. A starter can normally, but not always be repaired for half the cost of a new starter, and since the parts fit many applications, the parts are usually in stock.

Gerald

George Harwell

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 05:58:11 PM »
Thanks Gerald. I have a good overhaul shop about 3 miles away that gets my business when I am home but I wanted Chucks information in case I get stranded while on the road. If I have to go Chucks route then the old starter will get overhauled and become my spare when I get home. Have a great day.

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 10:21:59 PM »
The Cummins part number was 5363432.  There was no core charge and the repair guy offered me the old starter. He told me that it would be around $350 to rebuild it and I decided I did not want to carry the extra weight in the MH.

George Harwell

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2018, 03:10:41 PM »
Well, believing in preventive maintenance I decided to pull the starter for overhauling. The coach is 16 years old next month with 139,382 miles on the 8.3 Cummins. My rebuild shop guy said it was definitely ready for overhaul. I am pleased that I got the starter rebuilt with a new solenoid for $155. Getting old so used a floor jack for the removal/installation processes. Made it much easier.