Author Topic: Batteries and winter layup  (Read 3133 times)

Lawrence Tarnoff

Batteries and winter layup
« on: October 18, 2018, 09:22:23 PM »
Coach is heading for heated indoor storage in a few days.  It will be plugged in at 120 volts.  I will turn off the batteries.  Dumb question: will the batts stay charged with the battery switch in off position?

Timothy Weir

Re: Batteries and winter layup
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 05:06:05 PM »
Mine is a 93 so it may be different, but was reading the original coach manual the other day and came across exactly what you are asking. It says the ideal way to maintain batteries in storage is plugged in to shore power. then there is a note in large print. "When the coach is plugged into shore power, the BATTERY DISCONNECT switches should never be turned off. Damage may result to electronic items." Hope this helps.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 05:54:17 PM »
Generally the choice is between plugged in with the batteries on against unplugged with the batteries off. 

Wet lead acid batteries self discharge at only about 5% per month.  So if not plugged in, the batteries are off and (importantly) nobody has hooked up something directly to the batteries, you're good with nothing to worry about for a few months.   

The other choice leaves more to worry about.  The inverter/charger should be "smart" with a "float charge" rate, it has to be working correctly, the batteries have to be healthy for the "float" charge to work, the isolator/BIRD/Big Boy system has to be working and capable of maintaining both battery banks.  You also have to service the batteries with distilled water about once a month.

Lawrence Tarnoff

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 06:38:22 PM »
Thanks, Bill.  In previous years, my storage facility prohibited any plugins, so I just turned off the batteries but was greeted by insufficient amps to start the coach in spring.  Fortunately, had enough to start the generator and after a half hour or so was able to get underway.  I think I will go without plugging in and just make sure I run the generator a few times over the winter. 

Thanks!