Author Topic: CAT Engine quit on I40 – ECM Failure  (Read 2163 times)

Michael Rump

• BAC Member
CAT Engine quit on I40 – ECM Failure
« on: October 19, 2018, 08:29:23 PM »
C12 engine quit while leaving a campground in Canon City, Colorado.  Engine restarted, but “check engine light” remained on.  Continued the Colorado Rallies and arrived in Farmington for the Int’l Rally.  Called local CAT Dealer after Dave Atherton connected his CAT ET and identified a sensor calibration error.  CAT referred me to a local repair shop because they mainly worked on heavy equipment versus over the road engines. Local shop flashed the ECM which corrected the problem and reset the engine check light.  During the process, I asked if I could have an electronic copy of the file.  They gave me the engine data for my engine which included valve and calibration information. Technician stated that he thought the ECM might be going bad.

After several months of driving, last Sunday, the engine quit alongside I40 in Albuquerque, New Mexico.  I called Dave Atherton and he walked me through several things to check but to no avail.  He suggested that I tow our vehicle to Wagoner CAT.  I called Wagoner CAT’s emergency phone number and was told to bring it in. Our next call was to the FMCA Assist Program which started a bit rough but worked out well.  We were finally towed by a professional driver who treated our coach as if it were his own (scary and impressive at the same time).

On Monday morning, I went to the CAT service department to meet the gentleman I had talked to on the phone.  We discussed the issues and he stated that it was probably a bad ECM on a C12.  He said he has been doing this for a long time.  The technician came out shortly and plugged in his CAT ET and could not see the ECM, but could view the ABS brakes and transmission.  He disconnected the ECM wiring harness and connected his CAT ET directly to the ECM to eliminate coach connections.  Dead ECM!  Ordered one from Denver.

In the meantime, he removed the ECM and bench tested it for final verification.  Then they reconnected the prop shaft and greased it. On Tuesday, the new ECM arrived and I asked the technician if he could use the engine file I had by chance obtained from the truck repair facility.  He agreed to look at it.  He came back with the programmed ECM and installed it.  Engine started and we drove the coach to one of their repair bays where he reset the fault codes.

Lesson learned:  The CAT technician stated that if I had not had the electronic engine file he would have had to pull the valve covers to get individual valve data and then put a probe in the side of the engine to calibrate sensors.  When you next connect CAT ET with Dave Atherton or a CAT Dealer, please ask for the engine data file. 

Dave Atherton is a valuable resource for the BAC and a friendly voice on the phone when you are broken down.  He may not always be able to fix your issue, but he can give you options.
Much appreciated Dave!

AND, thanks to all our Beaver friends for your support!
Mike and Janis Rump
2004 Patriot Thunder
CAT 505 HP C12
2014 Honda CRV
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Jim Nichols, Bill Borden

Mike Shumack

Re: CAT Engine quit on I40 – ECM Failure
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 09:13:30 PM »
Do you need the "file" or can the same programming info be retrieved/loaded knowing the engine calibration code? Meaning is it worth the trouble to go to CAT ET shop and have a file copied ahead of time? Would than save me any money (maybe shop time) if I ever need to have ECM replaced?

I understand that having the file available speeds up the programming of the new ECM.
Just wondering if the calibration data on the engine decal is enough for CAT to download the ECM program file from "CAT source" in the sky.

For example:

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 10:02:51 PM »
Mike,
Hi, I think can help you. First question; are you sure the ECM is bad. Just went through this last week with another BAC member and after checking several things found he lost power to the ECM. If your are sure the ECM is bad, there is an important thing that will save you a lot of money because you cannot buy a loaded Caterpillar ECM. The Caterpillar Dealer can pull some information off your ECM but cannot pull info on the injectors numbers. Thus they will have to remove your valve cover and take information off each injector when they set up your new ECM. If you can provide that information it will save you a lot of money. Would suggest that as long as they are programming a new ECM, get all your codes off the failed ECM and include all the injector information with the printout. Keep this for future reference. If I can help in any way you can contact me through the forum.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 10:36:26 PM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »

Mike Shumack

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 11:19:44 PM »
Sorry to waste your valuable time Dave. I am not having any engine trouble. It is more of a hypothetical question.

I was just asking (based on the original post) if having that ECM "file" (for future) use was worth the time and expense to get it now while everything is good - rather than waiting for a future problem with the ECM (which may never happen) and pay CAT to install the programming on a new ECM without the file.

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 01:46:53 AM »
Mike, will you be attending the BAC rally in the desert in Quartzsite, Az this January. If so you I can
provide you with all information for ECM replacement with Cat ET. There has been several things
that has surfaced that pertains engine operations concerns. You can also can have your Caterpillar
Dealer do this, sometimes you will have to get a appointment. One thing I can say, it is very rare
to have ECM failure and is not a very common problem. I would suggest you need not run home
to have this done. Many missed troubleshooting practices, remove engine ECM because it’s bad
where the problem has been a power problem before the ECM and the ECM ground strap to case.
Many times I have found When using Cat ET the starter has been changed out on engine and the
top inside 12 point bolt I real close ECM ground strap which is 4 inches long. Engine ground straps
and ECM grounding is the main problem. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley