Author Topic: Drag link  (Read 7193 times)

Warren Sandberg

Drag link
« on: October 23, 2018, 08:42:07 PM »
As you can see, this is my first post.

In driving our new to us Monterey home from Florida, I hit an unmarked road paving transition hard enough to bend the drag link and throw the front end out of alignment.  I did not notice any vibration in the front end or steering.  When I had a complete service done, the shop identified the bent drag link.  Of course the shop called Monaco (REV) to price the part ($1,700).  I checked with SuperSteer and theirs a couple of hundred less plus it is adjustable at both ends, supposedly making installation (labor $) less.  Anyone have any dealings with SuperSteer?  Any other sources to check?

P.S.  I did a search in this forum which garnered two posts, neither of which mentioned suppliers.  I tried joining the Monacoers to get their supplier list but probably messed up the joining instructions.

Thanks for your consideration.

Love our new to us Beaver.  It wants to be a Patriot Thunder when it grows up.  :-) 

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Drag link
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 08:57:11 PM »
Warren, Supersteer (SS) is a benefit of the existence of Henderson’s Lineup in Grants Pass, here in Oregon.  I and most others here that have had experience with the Henderson family and crew will stand behind their enterprise.  They’ve installed SS and other devices and service parts on our Monterey, and done a full on-the-road analysis that I’d recommend to any new owner that one day gets to the area.  You might call Robert or a staff member there for a reference to a quality vendor/installer.
https://www.hendersonslineup.com

Our Monty Rae has no intention of growing up... 37’ and just fancy enough for us farm-raised kids 👫 😄 .

Joel
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 09:11:21 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Warren Sandberg

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 01:29:45 AM »
Thanks for the lead, Joel.  Nice to know that a trusted provider is located there.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 10:38:16 AM »
Joel and Warren
My understanding is that the SS at Hendersond is supplemental to the existing drag link not a replacement to the OEM.    Am I missing something?
By the way, Kaiser Brake and Alignment in Eugene Or will manufacture one and even may be able to straighten the bent one.  of course the shipping would be spendy.  They did great work for us on our Marquis.
Warren,  also have your shop check the collar on the pitman are where it attaches to the steering box.  Ours was very loose . 
Also welcome!!!
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!
The following users thanked this post: Mike Tomas

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 05:35:46 PM »
Warren,
Are you sure that the drag link is bent? The drag link (the rod that runs between the pitman arm and the LF wheel) on most Beaver coaches is not straight. It runs from the pitman arm back to a recess in the subframe member that the ft. axle mounts to and then it is bent to run along inside that recess to clear the front tire in a hard turn. I have never seen that rod bent from anything other than a bad wreck. However, I have seen the ends on the drag link wear out and become loose or worse yet fail entirely causing a loss of steering control, so check it carefully at your yearly lubrication.

Gerald
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 11:06:44 PM »
Joel and Warren
My understanding is that the SS at Hendersond is supplemental to the existing drag link not a replacement to the OEM.    Am I missing something?

Thanks for pointing that out.  No, I’m probably the one missing something, Keith🤔.  That’s why I let Robert Henderson figure my chassis issues out for me 😅.

Although what I see on their Roadmaster section is touted as Monaco drag links.  Taking Gerald’s comments to heart is a good idea for Warren, certainly, and a call to Henderson’s would still be advisable just to help him clarify his issue.

Joel
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 11:17:34 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Warren Sandberg

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 11:51:01 AM »
Thanks Kieth and Gerald.  All good things to know.  I will get details from my shop. 

Jeff Fitzloff

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2018, 04:55:13 PM »
When I had our 2005 Beaver aligned I was told I needed a bunch of things replaced. I checked with a place Laserline they travel to where your unit is at. They were great, there re-evaluation was much more economical. It was a bent trailing arm they built a new adjustable one. Great job was done!

Laserline
PO Box 2412
Twin Falls, ID 83303
Office Phone: 2084203427
Mobile Phone: 2083128721
laserlinebooks@gmail.com
2005 Santiam