Author Topic: Batwing antenna removal  (Read 2037 times)

Jason Worman

Batwing antenna removal
« on: October 29, 2018, 09:31:01 PM »
I was wondering if anyone has removed the old analog batwing antenna and if so was it worth the effort. Have read other forums that say it is very labor intensive and can lead to roof damage. We have tried and tried to seal ours up and it still leaks down into the coach. We thought maybe remove and cover the hole. Thanks

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Batwing antenna removal
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 10:28:16 PM »
Ours didn’t leak, but corrosion had finally taken out the wiring topside and inside the antenna itself.  So while in Bend for new TVs and cabinet modifications a few years back, I spent a weekend up there replacing the batwing with a different style   https://www.google.com/shopping/product/3180505714157035536?q=winegard+rayzar+rv+antenna&client=safari&sa=X&hl=en-us&biw=1112&bih=732&tbs=cat:1718,pdtr0:726863|1656610,vw:l,init_ar:SgVKAwi2DUoKUggIz64sIKKOZUoHsgQECNqnIA%3D%3D,ss:44&prds=epd:17715418501173485323,paur:ClkAsKraX3DsgMxAiVjRUC6s8ZkdIbmILq1YFniDTmy1VdgXPpL0J_bYhN4D6zF0VNVzO5Jc0W_WbgNn6ktvAR79xW1WUVCDfd3MB4tE-mHatiomoKufmONBGxIZAFPVH70kaL6TllwXLgDwFMiQzm8iil_8JA,cdl:1,prmr:1,cs:1&ved=0ahUKEwi9msfKwazeAhVPOKw

One type of antenna I was cautioned against by the experienced TV installer was jack style.  He’d replaced all too many, and online reviews backed that up.   https://www.google.com/shopping/product/8757013009819441879?q=winegard+rayzar+rv+antenna&client=safari&sa=X&hl=en-us&biw=1112&bih=732&output=search&prds=ds:1,num:4,cs:1&tbs=cat:1718,pdtr0:726863&ved=0ahUKEwiQjar2zKzeAhX0wMQHHQtsD1MQiHAIPw

It required some modifications of the tubing arms, but was otherwise not hard, and the reception is just as good as it was before the wiring rusted out.  It also receives equally on either flat side, so one doesn’t need to ever rotate it more than 180 degrees.

Most of my time was spent aligning wires and forming loops that were water and tangle-proof.  I wrapped susceptible wire splice and connection areas with 3M waterproof tape and as I recall some that shrinks tight.  Probably overkill but after a horrendous flood not long before from a tiny breach at our solar panel wire roof entry, I was determined to stop water.

Dicor self-leveling sealant is best as a basic roof device seal as it can flow into low or hidden spots, but I back many suspicious spots up with clear Lexel.  It’s available in squeeze tubes and caulking tubes at Ace and some other retailers.  It’s critical to adhesion that all surfaces be clean.

You may need to at least remove the base plate (whether you keep an antenna up there or not) and scrape all the old sealant off the roof, and start over with fresh Dicor.  The solar wire leak I dealt with was virtually invisible underneath a folded-over loom of wires.  The pressure of the wires atop it should’ve helped the seal, but instead several gallons of water came in there during a gully washer while we were gone, pouring in from ceiling light fixtures and AC vents... all via a hidden split in the sealant.  When examining things up there, you must lift wires and check very carefully even the slightest potential culprit.  Your leak may also be running to the antenna fixture inside from a nearby other roof fitting, and not where you think.

Joel
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 10:36:27 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jason Worman

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 10:41:55 PM »
Joel,

Thank you, hopefully at some point we can meet up here in Oregon , we travel to PDX from time to time

Jason

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 04:31:33 AM »
Just my 2 cents.
Many times the batwing has been over tightened to the roof mount creating a depression and so a puddle around the mount.  The cable passes through a boot into the roof and if that boot is bad or loose it allows a open hole right in the puddle.  Sealing that boot with Lexal usualy does the trick.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!