Author Topic: Squirrels  (Read 3801 times)

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
Squirrels
« on: November 02, 2018, 02:49:13 PM »
I am having a big problem keeping squirrels out of my motor compartment.  They have already chewed through a bunch of wiring in our Astro Van the I had to repair.  Now they keep getting in the coach motor area.  Each day I vacuum out their acorns and nests but they keep coming back.  I have put in Irish Spring soap and some strong smelling squirrel repellent from a hardware store to no avail.  I was wondering.... squirrels supposedly prefer dark areas for nesting so.... would putting an LED light build in the motor compartment help?
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

Gerald Farris

Re: Squirrels
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 03:26:41 PM »
Fred,
Rodent damage (rats, mice, and squirrels) can be the most expensive repair that you ever make on a coach or car. I have seen engine damage caused by rodents chewing through an inlet hose between the air filter and the turbo, and an engine fire from a nest on the exhaust manifold not to mention all the wiring damage. Therefore, you really need to keep them out of your coach. Unfortunately, the only foolproof method that I know of to do that is by driving it. I have never seen a rodent that could catch a coach on the interstate, but I have seen several parked beside the interstate waiting on a tow truck due to rodent damage.

Gerald     
The following users thanked this post: Fred Cook

Mike Shumack

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 03:39:02 PM »
I was just reading on another forum that Coach owner was having rodent problems and tried everything - then he discovered that placing a small portable radio in the compartment kept them out. He said the rodents don't like "talk radio" (but didn't seem deterred by music). I can understand that. LOL  ;D

Maybe your light plus the radio will do the trick. Good luck

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 04:27:35 PM »
have no idea if this work but I checked on amazon and see a few ideas
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Mike Tomas

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 12:58:59 AM »
Thanks to all. Joel.... I clicked on your link and wow! .... lots of rodent destruction stories costing lots of money. Went out to Orschlens today and bought a can of “Squirrel Spray “. 100% satisfaction guaranteed.  Hope it works!
Fred & Cindy

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2018, 04:26:49 AM »
My brother’s 2018 fully-loaded RAM pickup had to be expensively renovated under the hood earlier this year.  Manufacturers went to soy-based wire coatings the last few years... whoops. 

I’ve been using deterrents for the recent explosion of squirrels in our back greenway that raid our gardens and my filbert trees, but I’m afraid less palatable, permanent methods are the only effective alternative.  We go to a lot of work producing fruits, vegetables, and nuts;  there’s only so much tolerance when they leave us with nothing to show for our efforts.  They even annually clean out the neighbor’s 20+ ft grape arbor, and the filberts don’t make it past August, 2 months before they’re even ripe!

In a park they’re cute and maybe enjoyable.  In a yard or farm (or under your hood) they’re a real pest requiring realistic and definitive solutions.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Tom Chace

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2018, 07:08:57 PM »
You might want to try Moth Balls

I have had luck with the little critters vacating the area by using them

Tom Chace
The following users thanked this post: Mike Tomas

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 07:59:43 PM »
Well... apparently the squirrel spray did not work.  They are coming back.  I keep checking to see if they have chewed any wiring yet and cannot find any damage.  I just put in a radio inside the motor compartment and tuned it to Rush Limbaugh.... maybe they will get out and vote tomorrow! LOL
Fred & Cindy