Author Topic: Bio Content  (Read 5429 times)

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Bio Content
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2018, 08:16:19 PM »
Joe, check into the Power Service products “Bio-Kleen” and “Clear Diesel”.  Power Service is a good company with great customer service and advice, and I’ve used their products for years with no fuel problems.  You’d use the Bio-Kleen first to kill existing algae, then the Clear Diesel to help disperse and remove it.  There are other brands of similar products available.  But a fuel polish like Gerald speaks to may be necessary regardless, if the situation is very bad.

Algae forms on water in the tank.  The water usually comes from the coach being parked for long periods with the tank partially full, especially in humid areas or where temperatures have changed a lot daily.  The water condenses out on the tank walls when ambient temperatures cool them, then the condensate goes to the tank bottom where algae can begin and thrive. The best preventative is to always store the rig with a full fuel tank, so moist air can’t occupy any room in it.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Joe Moreschi

• BAC Member
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2018, 11:46:33 PM »
Joel I did make the mistake of sitting all summer with a near empty tank and thats why when Gerald brought that up I thought it makes sense so I am trying all remidies. I am sitting for a few weeks waiting for some veneer and cabinet work so I won't know for awhile how it all pans out . In the meantime I will change the filters,check valve and put additive while I sit and see what happens,as to Doug's suggestion it's too late to cut out the old filter since I have disposed of it but that's good info,never even crossed my mind to do that but no one ever said I was the sharpest knife in the drawer either. thanks to all and I'll report my progress when I get to Arizona in a few weeks(fingers crossed)
2001 SOLITAIRE LALIQUE
C12-2KS59180

Joe Moreschi

• BAC Member
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2018, 04:30:13 AM »
Just in case anyone was interested I ended up after changing all filters including air filter and check valve still having fuel problems so went to Premier Freightliner in Oklahoma to have a tech look at it and he discovered I had so much metal flakes in the pre filter the screen was slightly collapsed.I never knew you were supposed to be able to see inside the plastic column or that there was a screen inside as Gerald alluded to in his post.Really showing my ignorance here.Since it's a part they don't stock it they put me up for the night while they overnighted it and installed it in quick fashion so I was on my way.Only $30.00 for overnight shipping I thought was very reasonable and they were great to deal with.Tech said it was a wonder it ran at all.Spoke with Dave Atherton and he told me to get rid of the Racor which is in my plans.So a happy ending which I thought I would share for all who helped me and thanks.As to the metal flakes the tech said it must be coming from the tank so whoever had the coach before me must have had rust in it from not keeping the tanks full and told me to keep an eye on it and get a spare preflight.
2001 SOLITAIRE LALIQUE
C12-2KS59180

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2018, 05:13:43 AM »
Joe, it is my suggestion with your Caterpillar C-12 Engine.  The engine was built and tested and
shipped with all OEM Caterpillar filters and builder removed the OEM Caterpillar filter setup and
replaced with a aftermarket filter setup. this subject has been around the block with very good
Pro and Con input ( which is better OEM or Aftermarket equipment ). As I suggested to you stay
with OEM Caterpillar parts. There is a misunderstanding about just how the fuel system on the
Caterpillar C-10 and up which includes the C-12 is different than the Caterpillar C-9 engines and
down. I have posted several concerns on preventive maintenance because of the extreme high
repair cost that can be reduced. Dave Atherton Retired Cat mechanic

Doug Allman

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2018, 02:21:39 PM »
Joe, When you replace the filter to a CAT first listen to the engine run and then listen to the engine run after you change to CAT filter. Our C-12 changed from very noisy pops, clicking, sucking sounds to run without any of those sounds. I always thought that was due to the way a diesel sounded when it ran.
Found out that all that music was actually coming from the engine when it was trying to get fuel to run properly - that is air does not run well in a diesel engine and was why it was making so much noise.
Not sure of your fuel line set up from tank to filter, then filter to engine, so talk to Dave in that regard if you have not. We on our 2004 only had to change the hose from filter to the engine, little over 2' of hose, as it was originally a hydraulic line that Dave felt was deteriorating and needed replacement along with filter system. I have learned to always take Dave's suggestions as he has the CAT data to back them up and that always has given us a full piece of mind on a very expensive part of our coach.
The CAT water fuel separator unit is a much simpler set up and eliminates a lot of future problems and maintenance. There is no maintenance to the CAT system other than changing the filter when needed. You will see how much simpler after you remove the existing one.

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2018, 02:59:54 PM »
Good morning and hope everyone had a very nice holiday. One thing I would to call attention to
as I read the forum and the ads at page bottom. The Caterpillar electronic engines which we run
in our motorhomes are rated at build for bio-fuel up to B-20 ( Ref Ask Dave in technical ection.)
Where this is going, seeing all these products on the market today, power boost, injection cleaners
on and on. Both Caterpillar and Cummins engines do not recommend any additives run in there
engines. The injection system on both brand engines and the injectors themselves run at a very
close tight spec., Change to diesel fuel by thinning will result injector wear or sticking. Injectors
cleaners etc. Power boost creates change in the burn in cylinder ( heat change ) creates many
different problem over extended periods of time and your injection system. Depends on who a
person talks to but information is clearly spelled our with both engine builders technical information.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic