Author Topic: Entry door rattle caused by keyless entry mechanism  (Read 1986 times)

Jill Goldman

Entry door rattle caused by keyless entry mechanism
« on: November 25, 2018, 09:29:45 PM »
Hi Folks,

I posted a month ago about at rattle I was hearing in my front door. Discovered the problem causing the rattle - the keyless entry, which has not worked in the past year I have had the RV, has come alive. I have seen the lower lock moving when I hear the rattle; even pushed it closed only to find it open the next day. I never use the lower lock (only the dead bolt) so when I leave the RV I never take the key to that lock. Today my RV locked me out. I returned to find the bottom lock thrown - I'm sure I did not do it when I left the RV. I had to call a locksmith who picked the lock for me in 30 seconds. I have since put the key in a magnetic box outside the RV until I can get it fixed.  Has anyone had a problem like this? The only thing I can think to do at this point is to disconnect the wiring that serves the lock until I can get it fixed.

I am wintering in south Texas near McAllen. Can anyone suggest a GOOD RV service center that could fix this?

Thanks,

Jill Goldman

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Re: Entry door rattle caused by keyless entry mechanism
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 10:17:01 PM »
Jill, I just had all the baggage door actuators replaced at BCS in Oregon. To disable the power door lock, look in your front run bay for a relay that controls the door locks, then remove the 12v wire from the circuit breaker that powers that relay. Its harder to write about than to do. With the power to the relay off, the door and baggage door actuators won't work, but the keyed locks will work fine.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 10:23:09 PM »
Forgot; Tape the end of the wire that you removed so it won't short (spark) against anything.
525 hp C13

Jill Goldman

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 10:49:44 PM »
Thanks Bill. I'll be out at BAC in couple of years. Starting a list.

Regards

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 10:53:27 PM »
Any mobile RV tech can remove the wire to the door relay. Should be plenty in your area with all the snowbirds this time of year. 5 min. job. Good Luck!
525 hp C13