Author Topic: Loss of water pressure  (Read 2987 times)

Jason Worman

Loss of water pressure
« on: November 07, 2018, 10:03:50 PM »
So recently we have noticed a drop in water pressure while hooked up to city water. It starts great then within about 2 minutes down very low. We changed water filters, no effect, had some old water lines replaced with new Pex and no change. Same issue for all sinks/shower.Question I have is can you run your water pump while hooked up to city water or that just for dry camping? Turned on water pump and pressure increased dramatically. Also checked pressure coming into coach and checks good. Searched and searched for leaks and could not find any.

Thanks
Jason

Tic Wilson

Re: Loss of water pressure
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 11:24:57 PM »
Jason, I can address only one part of your question.  We fill our fresh water tank, then turn off the city water, relieve the pressure on the hose, and use the water out of the fresh water tank.  We have good pressure and continually refresh our water supply.  Several times we have arrived at a park that was temporarily unable to deliver water, so we are prepared.  For low pressure from city water, I would start at point of entry and look for wet.  Does your RV have an "external shower"?  I would think that would be the closest point to entry.  Good luck..

Jason Worman

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 11:57:02 PM »
Tic

Thanks for the advice, no outside shower but we have two filters set up, I will start with that.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 12:10:05 AM »
Jason,
Check the in-line screen where you connect the hose to the coach. They sometimes clog up. Your coach probably has an in-line pressure regulator right behind the city water port. I would suspect that as the most probable cause of your problem.
Like Tic, we always get water from our fresh tank. Reasons are better, more constant pressure and if we get a leak, we know it as we can hear the pump burping or running. Also it is easier to turn off the pump from inside when leaving the coach.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 01:30:27 AM »
We had the same issue and found that the screen was plugged.  Pressure was a little better but still low so I replaced the city water inlet that actually had the pressure regulator in it.  No problems since although turning the pump on always helps increase the pressure.  Good luck.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Jason Worman

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 01:54:57 AM »
Jerry,

It's a fairly new inlet, replaced several months ago, but will give it a look see. Thanks

Jason

Jason Worman

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 05:34:16 PM »
I went outside and have noticed external water filter had had issues. I disconnected it and just ran the hose straight to the coach, now have plenty of pressure. Thanks everybody for the tips.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 10:07:40 PM »
Filters I’ve used always cut down pressure.  Reading descriptions of them online reveals a range of flow rates.  Some owners use them only inside on the kitchen lines, but outside whole-rig filters can cut hard water to improve shower, washer, and other cleaning processes. 

One mitigation is to use an outside filter only when filling the water tank, then use that water when in a hard water park where sudsing is noticeably diminished or flavor isn’t particularly palatable.  I carry and have used this inexpensive one   https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Fresh-Water/Camco/CAM40043.html   .  The only downside for some people to that idea is the filter can remove chlorine making the tank susceptible to germs.  But the water input before the filter was either clean or chlorinated germ-free to begin with, and as long as the tank was either continually used/replenished and/or annually dewinterized with a bleach treatment, I can’t see much threat of that.

I now carry a softener that works pretty well, and stands up conveniently in a bay proximal to our water bay.  It also works to rinse spot-free my cars after washing.  https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/electrical-plumbing-lp-gas/rv-pumps-water-filters-fixtures/water-softeners/portable-water-softener_88-8285?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm8nT3uXF3gIVGNRkCh3xuA83EAQYAyABEgIsUvD_BwE

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2018, 11:11:09 PM »
Thanks Joel.  I just ordered the water softener to which you linked.  Last night at a get-together here in Yuma with our Couple's Golfing Group, another guy (Dale) and I were talking about his water softener.  He loves it.  I told Leslie about the discussion, how they work, and Dale's opinion, and she said "Buy it!"
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2018, 01:42:12 AM »
Hope you shopped it around a bit, David, as I just provided here the first adequate reference to it, not necessarily the best deal.  I got ours at Camping World, as I had discounts at the time and was in the Wood Village store.  There is a larger model, but I haven’t even had to recharge mine once yet.  A full-timer would likely want the big one, but it might be harder to haul around and fit in a bay.

My only concern was it’s getting swiped some night or while we’re gone, but discovered it could either hide behind a slide out or I can finagle hoses into a storage bay adjoining the water bay.  In there i sits nicely in a planter pot plastic saucer to catch any drips off the connections, and a bungee holds it upright on the road.

Joel

P.S.  If you’re a member, there’s a Camping World Veterans Day $15 coupon available... $174.95 with that.  https://www.campingworld.com/on-the-go-portable-standard-water-softener-conditioner?CAWELAID=120030630000002283&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIs_KZ1qTG3gIVkPhkCh3WZQifEAQYASABEgLruPD_BwE    But you’d have to hit Pheonix or Tucson I guess, David, as it’s in-store only and the next 4 days.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 02:57:47 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2018, 02:49:19 AM »
We aren't full timers. We have the larger one, the double standard model. It lasts, depending where we are and the hardness of the water, between 10-24 days at a time. It stands up on my slide out tray in the bay while traveling. I hold it from using by wrapping a short black rubber bungee cord, and fasten the two hook ends to screws in the slide out tray rail, about 18-20 inches apart. It has never fallen over. It sits on the ground outside the coach when we are in a RV Park. I could probably plumb it to make it permanent, but you have to unhook all of that to re-generate it, so I don't.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Ron Johnson

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2018, 07:03:21 PM »
We are fulltimers .. Have owned this Coach for 10 years and it came with a portable water softener that is hardpiped into the the bay adjacent to the water compartment. After recently recharging and not getting usual softening results I replaced the resin beads which were dark red in color .. New ones are gold. The softening results are wonderful .. Wish I had done it sooner.