Author Topic: AZ Diesel Fuel Tax Change  (Read 4244 times)

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
AZ Diesel Fuel Tax Change
« on: November 08, 2018, 01:14:41 AM »
Previously AZ required vehicles over 26000 lbs or having more than 3 axles to fuel up at a truck stop or other outlet that charged $.26/gal rather than the $18/gal at most gas station. The fine was $1000 if you were caught by an AZDOT enforcement officer. The law was changed a few years ago but the "new" stickers are apparently just showing up on pumps. I checked with AZDOT and they confirmed that a private, non-commercial RV can fuel at the $.18 tax pumps, regardless of weight, # axles, etc. However, it must be privately owned and non-commercial. If your RV registration shows the RV is owned by an LLC that you own, AZ views it as commercial and required fueling at the $.26 tax pumps.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Rick and Laura Stephens, Bryan Beamon, Jim Nichols, Roy Boles

Mike Shumack

Re: AZ Diesel Fuel Tax Change
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 04:28:08 PM »
That's interesting Steve.
If I go to a Pilot/Flying-J (or any truck stop) in AZ. Will they have a pump for RVs (at the lower tax rate) and other pumps for the big commercial trucks?

I don't think my rig will fit into most local gas stations that have diesel for pickups and cars - and I would chance it to save $.08 a gallon.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 07:43:19 PM »
Mike,
Flying Js have an RV island. It is usually located in the same entry area as used for autos.

Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 04:23:21 AM »
Most of the Flying J's have a rv island out front. The couple times that I have used them you have to wait forever because some bozo leaves his vehicle on the island and goes in the store to get lunch or pay for the fuel. Also the pumps are not high output like the truck islands, getting a hundred gallons takes forever.
Most of the Fry's markets here in Az you can get a big coach in and out of. I used to fuel at the one in San Tan before I read the little decal on the pump. Some of the Safeway's we can get in and out.

Mike Tomas

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 08:26:29 PM »
Mike Shumack:

I've been driving commercial vehicles around Arizona for the last few decades. I seem to recall that if you went into the cashier with your credit card to fill up at any truck pump, that you could tell them privately owned and non-commercial and they would charge you at the $0.18 rate. Although, at that time, I really didn't care too much about what the cost was since I wasn't paying for the fuel.  ::)  Check first, but I'm pretty sure you could just be taxed appropriately if you talk to the cashier first and still be able to take advantage of the truck fueling bays and high speed pumps.   :D

-Just my .02¢ of input. -Not to be confused with the $2.00 input from others.

[]\/[]Tomas
Phoenix, Arizona • Region 4
2000 Patriot Thunder 425
Princeton • Ketchum Creek
Magnum C-Series “Big Cat” Chassis
CAT 425 • Joined 201804

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 11:35:17 PM »
I tried that at a Flying J/Pilot one time and they looked at me like I was nuts. I don't think they can change the pump price inside.

William Jordan

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 02:16:08 AM »
This was clarified some time ago .. last year when I bought fuel there,  the stickers were on the pumps way back then . The one flying j I used my GS rv card at charged the correct , less tax,  amount at the pump over a year ago. The only other truck stop I used , I went in arranged Payment it was also at the lower tax rate. It must take awhile for some stations to post the stickers and adjust the price. I understood at the time the tax was never meant for RVers not operating a business and whomever regulates this clarified it.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 02:21:46 AM by William Jordan »

Jerry Pattison

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2018, 12:35:28 AM »
I have a Flying J RV credit card.  I receive an .08 per gallon "discount" with this card.  I believe that they give me the price for cash even when I use the card.  That, I think, is the "discount".  I almost always go thru the truck side.  I have never paid attention to what tax I pay.  I don't know if it shows at the pump or receipt.  My coach is owned by an LLC.  Am I going to Jail? :o

Chuckle!!

Doug Allman

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2018, 12:46:42 AM »
I am with Jerry as we also own our coach in an LLC. However, I do not think both of us are too excited or concerned about being caught. In actuality I have yet to figure out whom is doing any watching of RVers over the past 60 years that we have been down highways all over the US and Canada.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2018, 12:48:53 AM »
Jerry,
You may go to jail, but it will not be for buying fuel.

Gerald