Author Topic: Jim Murray - Retired Tire Dealer  (Read 1914 times)

Bill Sprague

Jim Murray - Retired Tire Dealer
« on: November 13, 2018, 03:20:20 PM »
TO:  Jim Murray - Retired Tire Dealer

What are your opinions and recommendations for a tire repair kit for those of us without spares.  (Full disclosure... My Beaver didn't have a spare, my Ford Fusion does not and neither does my new little MB Sprinter motorhome have one.)

Mike Shumack

Re: Jim Murray - Retired Tire Dealer
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 12:10:38 AM »
There is not much you can do yourself with these big heavy tires if you get a flat, unless you are capable of breaking down the tire and putting a patch it in (for a small puncture), or installing a spare tire your carrying with you. I have a repair kit I carry in my car that uses a "push-in plug" (for nail-like punctures) - but these types of plug kits are not really recommended by the tire manufacturers (they want you to break down the tire and inspect the inside and use a patch on the inside).

I thought about carrying a spare (there is a nice tire carrier available that fits on your trailer hitch with fold down loading/unloading ramps) and then you still need a jack, safety stands, and breaker bar and/or torque wrench to change the tire. I have the tools but after discussions with others, it seems the likelihood of getting a flat is really pretty low and hard to justify the cost of buying and carrying a spare.

If the leak is small enough you may be able to just air the tire up (monitor it with your TPS) and keep filling it up until you reach a  repair shop.

Lastly, and probably the best option, is to have Roadside Assistance coverage where someone will come out and change/repair your tire on the side of the road.

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Re: Jim Murray - Retired Tire Dealer
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 02:02:36 AM »
My tire guy told me to carry a push plug type repair kit.  Said it's not recommended and shouldn't be used for long but it beats sitting roadside for 4 or 5 hours to be given the wrong size tire for twice the normal price.  He cautioned to just drive as far as you need, slowly, to get a proper repair or new tire.  I have a kit and hope I don't need it.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH