Author Topic: Electric brakes  (Read 2466 times)

Peter Becker

Electric brakes
« on: November 19, 2018, 06:05:05 PM »
Were Beavers pre wired for electric brakes?
Have 7 pin connector at rear.
Thanks

Mike Shumack

Re: Electric brakes
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 08:54:21 PM »
My '05 Owners Manual shows the 7 pin plug with an unused terminal (which the PO wrote "electric brakes" next to). I have not checked this myself, but you could easily test this on your coach. Just have someone step on brakes and see if that terminal ("G") had power to it.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 08:56:56 PM »
Many (I don’t know from what eras) came from the factory prewired for the Unified Tow Brake.   I use Roadmaster’s Brakemaster and have no experience or advice re. the Unified device.  The Brakemaster uses air from the coach’s system to work, so I believe the only electric part is for it’s breakaway feature, activating a reserve air cylinder solenoid under the toad’s hood that pressurizes the brake actuator should the vehicle become detached.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Scott Shearer

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 04:57:46 AM »
Peter,

Our 2006 PT was pre-wired for electric brakes. There is a harness that was tightly bundled in the wire loom under the dash on the left side of the steering column. The harness was terminated by a 6-pin connector and has a tag on it that reads 66 or 99. I had to cut several zip ties to extract it from the larger wire loom.

The harness contains a brake light signal wire that is NOT energized by the engine brake. The wire colors are: blue, yellow with black tracer, black with white tracer, white and red. I used a Tekonsha brake controller and it works great.

I read somewhere that there were some coaches (I think earlier than yours) where the trailer brake relay was wired backwards causing the electric brake signal to be normally on, off when you apply the service brakes. It seems like I’ve seen a service bulletin on it.
Scott & Susie Shearer
2006 Patriot Thunder
Lexington IV 40'
Cat C13
2015 JKU Hard Rock

Scott Shearer

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 05:53:23 AM »
There is a TSB regarding the electric brake pre-wire issue. This is from Unified Tow Brake but pertains to any controller utilizing the factory electric brake pre-wire.

Background
Beginning in the Summer of 2005, Monaco Coach Corporation began pre-wiring its 2006 class A coaches (Monaco, Holiday Rambler, Safari, and Beaver).

Description of Problem
There is a "trigger" wire for the brake light switch that activates the brake controller. The brake light switch is to be "dead" when the foot is off the brake pedal, and "alive" when a foot is on the brake pedal. The wiring in some of the Monaco pre-wired coaches is backwards. They have the "trigger" wire "alive" when a foot is off the brake pedal and "dead" when the foot is on the brake pedal.
Monaco is using a relay for the "trigger" wire #197. They have the relay wired incorrectly. Monaco wire #197 is plugged into post # 87A and should be plugged into post # 87 on the relay.

Solution
The Monaco relay for wire #197 can be found in the coach’s electrical panel located in the front driver side bay. Once you have located the relay for wire # 197, you will notice that there is one spot on the relay that is not used. Move wire #197 to that vacant spot. That will correct the problem.
Scott & Susie Shearer
2006 Patriot Thunder
Lexington IV 40'
Cat C13
2015 JKU Hard Rock
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Peter Becker

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2018, 01:39:25 PM »
Thanks to all.