Author Topic: Cracked radiator  (Read 13086 times)

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Re: Cracked radiator
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2018, 08:39:32 PM »
Thanks Steve.  I'm probably just missing it because the coach is so low.  I'll put down the jacks and see if that is better.  Do I have to worry about air locks or anything?
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2018, 11:18:38 PM »
Jerry,
No air lock concern if you are just draining a small sample for testing. Just be sure you have fluid in the surge tank.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2018, 11:53:44 PM »
Ok,  just have to ask..... why wouldn’t you just take the sample from the surge tank?
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2018, 01:07:48 AM »
Ok,  just have to ask..... why wouldn’t you just take the sample from the surge tank?

Good question!  I've been told that it is more accurate to take out of the actual radiator for a more accurate sample.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2018, 02:14:47 AM »
 If you drive the motorhome at operating speed for about 15-20 miles, you should be able to get a good sample from the surge tank. After following this post I took a sample from my surge tank yesterday after driving back from St. Louis to my home which is about 100 miles.  I planned to get it analyze sometime next week.
Fred & Cindy
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert

Greg Kamper

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2018, 08:19:30 PM »
Well, we are back from our short trip in a "borrowed RV". My parents loaned me their Monaco Camelot , but I sure missed the PT. I thought my radiator was aluminum, so if it is the copper/brass, I hope that the repair will not be another mortgage payment. Would this be a repair that can be done in place, or does the radiator need to be removed? 

Gerald Farris

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2018, 12:38:59 AM »
Greg,
The leak location and access to the area will determine whether or not the radiator will need to be removed to repair the leak. If you do not feel capable of repairing the leak yourself, find a good radiator repair shop in your area and get an estimate. Some shops will give you a ballpark estimate from several pictures, but most shops will need to see the coach first.

Gerald

Greg Kamper

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2018, 08:20:30 PM »
Well, the shop I take my coach in, doesn't really want to do the job. He said it's a pain in the *** and he doesn't have the room at his shop for my motor home to sit until the radiator is repaired. He gave me the number of a radiator shop to use though. How hard is it to get the radiator out? I'm not really worried about doing it, but any hint to what needs to be done to get it out would be appreciated. Thanks,

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2018, 02:51:54 AM »
The radiator on our 2005 Beaver has been pulled and re-cored twice. I was involved with the second removal and reinstallation. It was a very big job. Radiator is very heavy and getting it out and reinstalled was a very difficult process. It's not something I would ever tackle on my own. But, then again I have very limited mechanical experience. Someone with more knowledge may know a much easier way to do it. Good Luck!!
Larry Fisk
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Keith Cooper

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2018, 02:23:34 PM »
We just had a similar problem corrected on our 2000 PT. The radiator turned out to be a steel frame with a copper core. We also had a problem  with the radiator support bracket. As it happens there is a threaded rod used to tie in the radiator. Each end of the threaded rod passes through a rubber grommet. In our case, the grommet had disintegrated and was completely gone ob one end. the lack of the rubber shock absorption generated an oblong hole in the brace and eventually caused the leak. Removal and re installation of the radiator required two men, a small boy and a dog (about 4 hours of labor out and in ).We also ended up having to replace one hose on the top of the radiator. In our case I was fortunate enough to find a radiator shop on Merritt Island willing to allow the the coach to sit beside his shop in a secure area, for several days. I originally expected to have to take the coach to a truck repair shop, remove the radiator, transport it to the radiator shop, repair it, return to the truck repair location, re install pressure test, etc.

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2018, 02:32:15 PM »
The more I read this thread the more worried I get. Is this a problem likely to happen on Beaver coaches? I rarely see any talk on other forums about radiators going bad.
Fred & Cindy

Gerald Farris

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2018, 04:09:10 PM »
Fred,
Radiator failures on pre Monaco Beavers is not very common. However, the aluminum radiators that Monaco started installing were very prone to failure. Some of the aluminum radiator failures were related to poor installation/design by Monaco, and some of the failures were related to the radiator manufacturer that went bankrupt. There was a lot of weight on under designed plastic tanks and a leak prone core that the manufacturer was most likely responsible for.
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2018, 04:51:35 PM »
Fred,
Radiator failures on pre Monaco Beavers is not very common. However, the aluminum radiators that Monaco started installing were very prone to failure. Some of the aluminum radiator failures were related to poor installation/design by Monaco, and some of the failures were related to the radiator manufacturer that went bankrupt. There was a lot of weight on under designed plastic tanks and a leak prone core that the manufacturer was most likely responsible for.

Thanks Gerald.  So.... is my coach a pre Monaco Beaver.  Tag inside says it was built in Dec 2001.
Fred & Cindy

Gerald Farris

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2018, 06:43:24 PM »
Fred,
Your coach was built near the end of 2002 Patriot production, about 6 months after Monaco bought Beaver, and a there were a few Monaco design features that were starting to be entered into production like slide topers as an option, but your chassis design should be entirely SMC Magnum (pre Monaco).

Gerald   
The following users thanked this post: Fred Cook

Greg Kamper

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2019, 10:40:14 PM »
Well, I was able to grind off the bracket off of the side of the radiator tank. I then welded up the leak and then I welded a plate where the bracket was. Then I welded the bracket to another 12 gauge plate and welded that to the other plate. It should be a lot better than the original. Now as we pulled in to Phoenix I noticed that the plastic pressure tank is starting to leak. The joys of owning an old motor home.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 03:28:39 PM by Greg Kamper »