Author Topic: Chassis Batteries Problem  (Read 11978 times)

Larry Azus

• BAC Member
Re: Chassis Batteries Problem
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2018, 07:04:41 PM »
I guess I'm not quite out of the woods yet with regards to my battery issues...

I went to the storage unit yesterday, and the charger indicated "Float Charging: 12.6V / 0A". I measured both battery banks, and the house batteries were at 12.6V and the chassis batteries were at 11.4V.

I toggled the charge button off and on a couple times, and after a few seconds it indicated "Absorb Charging: 13.9V / 48A". I again measured the battery banks and both were at 13.7V and appeared to be charging properly.

I went back today and again the charger indicates "Float Charging: 12.6V / 0A" and the batteries were in similar state as yesterday. I also measured the batteries with the charger off and the voltages remained the same.

Any ideas on this issue? Is this a problem with the "float charge"?

Thanks for your continuing assistance!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 07:13:06 PM by Larry Azus »
Larry & Pat
2006 Beaver Monterey Pacifica IV
Cat C9 (400HP)
2013 Honda CRV

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2018, 02:26:18 PM »
I assume your coach is plugged in and power is getting to your inverter/charger.

The following is what I see on our coach.
1. When unplugged and generator off, and Cat C-12 not running  -  if the batteries are fully charged up, then both battery banks will show 12.6-12.7v on the Aladdin.
2. While on the road traveling, (obviously unplugged) and generator off and Cat C-12 running at 1,500 RPMs +/-  -  both battery banks will show 14.2v +- on the Aladdin.
3. When plugged in or generator on, and Cat C-12 not running  -  if the inverter/charger is in BULK charge mode, then both battery banks will show 14.2v +- on the Alladin.  If the inverter/charger has moved through BULK and ABSORPTION modes to FLOAT mode, then both battery banks will show 13.7v.

I don't understand why your battery banks are not showing 13.7v +- in the inverter's FLOAT mode when your coach is plugged in after the batteries have received a full charge.  It sounds like your inverter/charger is doing its job to charge up the batteries, but then quits and doesn't maintain the full charge in FLOAT mode.  You cleaned the Big Boy and it appears to be functioning properly.  Could the BIRD module be the problem or perhaps your inverter/charger is not getting to and remaining in FLOAT mode?
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!
The following users thanked this post: Larry Azus

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2018, 06:03:57 PM »
Larry,
If you haven't already done so, suggest you check the inverter/charger settings. Also, you may want to try resetting the inverter/charger. Most have a reset button on the inverter.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Samuel Sperbeck

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2018, 07:03:18 PM »
I think you need to take your start batteries to a battery vendor and have them load tested. I think your batteries were damaged when they were so deeply discharged and they are not going to recover. I know that isn't what you want to hear, but that is my opinion.

Good luck, Sam

Scott Shearer

• BAC Member
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2018, 07:36:14 PM »
Larry,

Your float charge voltage seems low (12.6). I assume that you have a Magnum Inverter/Charger. If so, you should have a battery temp sensor on the house battery bank. If the temp sensor is bad it will adversely affect the Magnum Inverter/Charger (i.e. low float charge voltage). You can check the battery temp at the remote, press the ‘Tech’ button and select ‘Get Temperatures’.  Currently, with shore power, ours is in ‘Float’ @ 13.8 volts and battery temp of 8 Celsius.

**Edit**

Also, if your float (house battery) voltage drops below 12.8 volts the BIRD system will cause the Big Boy to drop out and your chassis batteries will not be charged.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 10:29:47 PM by Scott Shearer »
Scott & Susie Shearer
2006 Patriot Thunder
Lexington IV 40'
Cat C13
2015 JKU Hard Rock

Larry Azus

• BAC Member
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2018, 02:29:18 AM »
I checked the various Inverter/Charger settings. All seemed to be good - with the exception of the Battery Temperature Sensor (BTS) which was reading 151C. I saw what appeared to be the battery sensor which was hanging freely from the top of the battery bay (in fact, it couldn't even reach the batteries).

Even if I unplugged the BTS cable from the inverter, it still read 151C. I also reset the inverter using the pushbutton on the inverter and still got 151C for the Battery Temp.

It appears that the inverter may be bad - I'll check with Magnum to see if they have any ideas...

Thanks for everyone's help!
Larry & Pat
Cat C9 (400HP)
2013 Honda CRV

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2018, 03:33:17 AM »
From what you just posted I would suggest that the BTS is bad!  At the very least it should be connected to one of the battery posts (I forget which one, I think neg.) That is a common failure item that causes all kinds of weird symptoms as described by folks on all the RV forums. 
Good luck
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Larry Azus

• BAC Member
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2018, 03:49:26 AM »
When I unplugged the BTS from the inverter - the reading still displayed 151C.   I guess my question would be - what should the "Battery Temperature" reading on the inverter be without a sensor plugged into the inverter?

If the inverter should show 151C without a sensor then it is likely a bad sensor. But if it should display something else then maybe there's a problem with the inverter...? I thought the charger should work without the BTS, but that you would lose that temperature protection (I may be wrong on this, though). The manual seems to indicate that it is optional - but recommended...
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 04:41:10 AM by Larry Azus »
Larry & Pat
Cat C9 (400HP)
2013 Honda CRV

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2018, 06:29:02 AM »
Larry, right now it's 38 outside and my BTS is reading 58 degrees.  Batteries are float charging at 13.7 VDC.  If your inverter is good it should charge with fewer crazy symptoms without the bad BTS plugged into the inverter.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Scott Shearer

• BAC Member
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2018, 06:44:40 AM »
Larry,

The reading with the BTS disconnected should be 25C, this would allow non-battery temperature compensated charging. It is also my understanding that the BTS is optional but recommended.

Also, I believe that are two types of BTS, one that is connected to the negative terminal of the battery and one that is installed on, or in close proximity to the battery bank. Ours is connected to the battery.

This is from a Magnum manual.

If the BTS is installed, the charge voltage settings will increase if the temperature around the BTS is below 77°F (25° C), and will decrease if the temperature around the BTS is higher than 77° F (25° C).

The inverter/charger will shut down if the Battery Temperature Sensor (BTS) has reached a temperature greater than 54°C/129°F.

Remove the BTS from the inverter BTS port. If the BTS reading goes to 25°C/77°F, replace the BTS. If the reading does not go to 25°C/77°F, then inspect the BTS port for cleanliness and/or have the inverter/charger serviced.
Scott & Susie Shearer
2006 Patriot Thunder
Lexington IV 40'
Cat C13
2015 JKU Hard Rock

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2018, 02:37:04 PM »
Larry, As others have suggested, reboot your inverter. Unplug from shore power, open the gen breaker, turn off the inverter using the small on-off switch on the inverter itself, then open both the chassis and house battery disconnect switches. Leave  all off for a couple of minutes, then reset by closing the battery disconnects, turn on the inverter switch, and connect to shore power. My inverter was doing weird things a while back and I found this inverter reset procedure in the Beaver manual. Now all is right again with the inverter. Good luck!
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Larry Azus

• BAC Member
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2018, 07:07:11 PM »
I attempted to reset the inverter: unplugged from shore power, opened house and chassis battery disconnects, and reset the inverter using the reset switch on the inverter. With the battery disconnects open, there was still power to the inverter and display. So, I also tried flipping the "salesman switch" at the door to try to kill all power. I then turned everything back on. No noticeable effect on the Battery Temp reading (still 151C).

However, after powering everything back on, I found I had no power in most of the interior: No power to light switches or thermostats or rear slides. However, the front slides work as do the front steps. After checking into this further, it appeared the solenoid for the "Salesmans Switch" appeared to be the culprit. After reading what others did with a similar problem - I ended up just connecting the input cable and output cable to the same terminal on the solenoid. That fixed the internal power problem.

So now the problem remains that the charger sits at "Float Charging: 12.6V / 0A" rather than 13.4V. The reason is likely the Battery Temp reading on the inverter of 151C - however even with the sensor unplugged, it remains at 151C which seems to point to a defective  inverter. I'll try to contact Magnum to see if they have suggestions.

Thanks everyone for your input!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 11:21:00 PM by Larry Azus »
Larry & Pat
Cat C9 (400HP)
2013 Honda CRV

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2018, 11:46:16 PM »
Larry,
You have to disconnect the house battery + cable to remove power from the inverter as it sources 12v before the disconnect switch.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Henry Nelson

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2018, 10:45:59 PM »
I've been having the same problem on my '96 34' Monterey. Same symptoms. Checked same stuff. Finally pried the caps off the 4 month old Costco Interstate batteries and they were dry. I mean DRY! No water and long charge would bring them back! New batteries (which Costco would not honor because I didn't buy them..the seller did) were procured.  Anyway, I didn't know about this BIRD thing..anyone tell me where I can find it on my model ?

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2018, 11:08:27 PM »
Your model may not have a BIRD system, Henry.  Perhaps an ECHO charger, who's location apparently varies.  Others here may be able to verify that and pinpoint the device for you on your coach.  In the meantime on the menu line below your name/profile at the top of this page, choose the Search tab and run a search of the Forum for Echo charger for perhaps useful info.  The Echo charger has been known to fail, assuming that's what's on your rig.  Some mechanically injected engines may not have either a BIRD nor an Echo charger.

Regardless, your wet cell batteries may just have been neglected, or have been overcharged by a faulty system.

Joel
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 11:15:38 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat