Author Topic: Chassis Batteries Problem  (Read 11850 times)

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Chassis Batteries Problem
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2018, 11:16:28 PM »
Pretty sure you've got an Echo charger as Joel noted. Here's the manual for the Echo charger. It charges the chassis batteries when the house batteries are about 13V. There is a picture of it in the manual. Normally they were either mounted in the battery compartment or on the wall of the engine compartment access from the bedroom cover.
Steve
http://beaveramb.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Echo-Charger-OwnerGuide445-0204-01-01.pdf
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Henry Nelson

BIRD Location '96 34' Monterey
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2018, 12:22:35 AM »
Can't find it. Don't think it's working.

Gerald Farris

Re: BIRD Location '96 34' Monterey
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2018, 12:45:59 AM »
Henry,
Your coach does not have a "BIRD" system, they were only installed on Monaco built Beavers. If it has anything, it will be an Echo Charger. On most of the 96 Monterey coaches, battery combining was accomplished by turn the ignition key to the accessory position to activate the boost switch. What are you trying to fix?

Gerald

Larry Azus

• BAC Member
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2018, 10:19:01 PM »
Quick update in case someone else has this problem in the future:
The symptom that I originally had was that the chassis batteries would go dead even when plugged into shore power and charging via the inverter/charger. I found that the inverter/charger would settle at "Float Charging: 12.6V / 0A". Consequently the Big Boy Relay would not engage and the chassis batteries would not charge when plugged into shore power.

This was caused by the Battery Temp Sensor reading 151C which would shut down the normal ~13.4V float charge since it indicated the batteries were overheating. Normally you could just disconnect the BTS cable from the inverter, and the BTS should then default to 25C and operate normally. In my case, it still registered 151C even with the BTS disconnected. This could only be caused by a defective Control Board in the Magnum inverter.

I purchased a new control board for $290, and swapped out the old control board. After hooking everything back up, I am back in business with normal inverter/charger operation. (Note - I also had a problem with the Big Boy relay in which I cleaned/burnished the internal contacts which fixed that problem).

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Hopefully, this could help someone else out in the future.
Larry & Pat
2006 Beaver Monterey Pacifica IV
Cat C9 (400HP)
2013 Honda CRV
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert

David Handley

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2018, 05:33:44 PM »
I had similar problems with my 2000 Monterrey--got tired of messing with the Echo charger and bought a Trik-L-Start, installed it, and haven't had any trouble since.