Author Topic: HEAT IN BAYS 2005 MONTERREY  (Read 2555 times)

KC Snellgrove

HEAT IN BAYS 2005 MONTERREY
« on: November 30, 2018, 04:40:05 PM »
GOOD DAY TO MY FELLOW BEAVER LOVERS!  OH HUM...we live in Portland Oregon and are leaving the 2nd week of December for the south. Unfortunately, it is going to get 29 degrees for several days next week. Now I am concerned about my water pipes. WHAT CAN I DO short of winterizing my MONTERREY 38 FT HUNTINGTON - Olivia Jean

- Are the bays heated?
- Any ideas of what I  could do for 2 to 3 days to keep the water pipes from freezing?
- To be safe should I winterize.

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR SUCH SUPREME ADVICE and RECOMMENDATIONS!

KC Snellgrove  ;) ;D

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: HEAT IN BAYS 2005 MONTERREY
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 05:36:09 PM »
If the daytime temps are 29F and the nighttime temps are lower than 29F for several days, then some heat in the basement would be prudent.  But if the nighttime temps are 29F and the daytime temps are higher, then keep the doors and windows closed and your coach will have no problems.  If your coach is plugged into 30 amp, then you could turn on the electric heating element in the Aquahot to add a little heat to the basement.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!
The following users thanked this post: Mike Tomas

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 07:09:23 PM »
As long as the ambient temps are above freezing during the daylight hours, you should be okay. The best thing to do is turn the furnace on, and set it to 40-45 degrees. The aquahot will heat the basement and you are okay.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 11:15:58 PM »
KC, anticipating possible winter forays to the coast I’ve often left the rig unwinterized, and just went out and set the living room thermostat at 40, and turned on the HydroHot when daytime temps stayed below 32.  As others note, mild nighttime dips are normally acceptable as long as they linger above freezing during the day.  It’s when you’re below freezing round the clock that jeopardy emerges, because then cold has time to penetrate the coach interior and bays.

The waste tank bay has its own 40 degree thermostat that automatically turns its ceiling mounted heat exchanger on if 12v is not off at the battery mains and the HydroHot is on.  Heat in there reaches the water pump and the adjoining bay.  The HydroHot is likely in the water tank bay like ours, and via radiant heat will protect any water in that tank.  Of course, the HydroHot having at least electric on necessarily protects itself, which is your primary goal.  The fridge’s icemaker solenoid should have heat tape around it that also comes on at around 40 as long as the coach’s batteries are switched on.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

KC Snellgrove

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 02:06:40 AM »
JOEL, THANK YOU SO MUCH! I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I hope all is well with you and your sweetheart wify - she is such a jewel! Yes, I will follow your advice to the "T". Again THANK YOU. Happy Holidays.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 04:07:32 AM »
Don’t totally rely on the HydroHot, because they can quit for no at-first apparent reason.  During 24 hr., sub-30 cold snaps where the rig is unwinterized I go out a couple times a day and check that the unit is actually “all green lights” and the interior temp is indeed at least 40.  You do need to be proactive.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

KC Snellgrove

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 11:07:21 PM »
Joel you make me LOL ;D, I got so nervous I had my Oliva Jean winterized and I am so happy I did with those below 30 degree weeks we had! So THANK YOU once again!