Author Topic: SuperSteer MCU's  (Read 2152 times)

jeffprupis

SuperSteer MCU's
« on: December 02, 2018, 04:44:10 PM »
Anyone have experience with MCU's (Motion Control Units)?
Think of having them installed in anticipation of an AK trip.
Appreciate any insights. TIA

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Re: SuperSteer MCU's
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 05:47:20 PM »
Jeff, after having driven our Beaver to Alaska and back I can't imagine anything making for a decent ride on the Alaskan Highway or many roads in Alaska and Canada.  The only thing that helped was slow speed.  We were routinely down to 20mph at times so we could react to the frost heaves and pot holes.  Many parts of the road were gravel and mud for long distances.  Speed is your enemy on those roads.  We did not get any damage to the Beaver besides a couple windshield chips.  It was a great trip and worth the time and money.  Have fun, I'm still finding Alaskan and Canadian gravel and rocks in every little cranny in the MH.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Doug Allman

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 10:07:03 PM »
Jeff, If you are talking about the device that Roy Mueller sold to them then I would say that advice from the returned Alaskan travelers is very correct and it will probably not do much for you.
We had Roy install one on our 2004 Marquis and at normal highway speeds, either on 2 lane or Interstate, it made that journey much more satisfying as it in many cases eliminated the constant attention at the steering wheel due to bad pavement and or side wind. You could correct the pull and let it track straight down the lane which took far less moving the wheel. At lower speeds this was not much of a need as at highway speeds. In my opinion ours worked best at 45 mph or more.  Hopes this helps.

jeffprupis

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 10:27:05 PM »
Doug I believe you're referring to SafeTPlus. We had that installed and it does help with buffeting at speed. The MCU's are dampers that prevent rocking side to side when going over uneven pavement at very slow speeds. https://youtu.be/WpdMG40B4-w

Bryan Beamon

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 02:12:32 AM »
Jeff, we had the motion control units installed on our 97 Patriot 40 foot and took 3 trips to Alaska. One trip without MCU and two trips with them. We did not detect a discernable difference and did have a air leak problem on one MCU unit. Sensible driving speeds is the key for all Alaska roads.
C & Bryan Beamon
2006  to present
2007 Contessa 42ft Cat C-9 400hp
1996 to 2006 97 Beaver Patriot Camden

Doug Allman

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 01:57:00 PM »
Jeff, I was not referring to the Safe T Plus but I do advocate that you should have one on your coach as we have always had one and during a passenger steer blowout with dear wife driving at 60+ mph the coach went straight down the highway with little to no effort on her part.
The MCO that Hendersons purchased from Roy Mueller is a control device that is added to the steering cross link and is operated by an electric actuated air cylinder that allows you to adjust the steering axle to track straight down the roadway when you encounter road surface pull or crosswind.

We had ours installed by Roy and used it in conjunction with the Safe T Plus. The Safe T Plus has a 200 lb plus spring that enables it to do its job during a blowout but when you are in normal travel mode and have pavement or crosswind drift and a constant herding of the coach this Steering assist allows you to do a correction from your drivers seat to get coach to track strait down the roadway. It takes a lot of constant steering correction out and makes driving much much easier.

Both are in our opinion, mine and my wifes, are an essential safety device in a coach that weighs from 30,000 to 54,000 lbs. Due to the chassis and steering gear on our 2017 Entegra we cannot use either unit and we are not pleased with this in our opinion safety dilemma. Our research has found that nothing will work like the Safe T Plus or the Steering Assist. However we are not having a steering wander problem with the Entegra Cornerstone like we had with the 2004 Marquis.

For what its worth - we just had our Cornerstone in to a Spartan certified facility and did mention what we thought was a steering play item. Matt asked us if we had had the axles aligned. I was taken aback by this question as it is a new coach. He indicated that they have over the past several months had numerous coach's in their facility and all of them had axle alignment problems. His comment was "What you are feeling in the steering is most likely being created by out of alignment axles and is why you are correcting with steering wheel so often due to the tracking problem they are causing."

Some will believe that is only on coach's with tag axles, however, out of alignment for two axle coach's will and can create some of the same problems with steering or tire wear. One thing they did mention was that if you are not seeing tire wear you may be getting wear in other areas of your chassis linkages/bushings that also are very costly to repair. They have found bent arms and struts when doing chassis reviews that owners never complained or asked about.

Their recommendation I was also taken back by. "You should have your axles checked for alignment every year. The roads you are driving on with the weight of your coach is creating damage that you cannot see." But the more I digest his statement the more I realize how we cringe when we hear the loud bangs when we travel.

Doug Allman

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 02:00:00 PM »
If I have the MCU's confused with the trim unit that Henderson has then disregard my post on that.