Author Topic: HELP NEEDED!!!!!!  (Read 9701 times)

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
Re: HELP NEEDED!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2018, 03:10:43 PM »
Mike,want to clear something up on the Subject we are talking about. What I meant, a person
having problems on the road and pin point fuel system a person can remove the aftermarket filter
Setup out of the system and run without problems to engine fuel system. As I indicated Caterpillar
did not install a fuel/ water filter only as a option on Caterpillar C-10 and below engine models.
and only recommended use only a 1R-0751 2 micron fuel filter that would be changed out at
each oil service periods. One of the biggest problems with the electronic engines is entry of air
within the fuel system on the suction side of the fuel transfer pump with the Heui injection system.
adding on a OEM Caterpillar water/ fuel removed possible entry of air if owner wants extra safety
factor but carry a extra 1R-0751 2 micron only fuel filter would do the same thing.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Mike Shumack

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2018, 05:12:28 PM »
adding on a OEM Caterpillar water/ fuel removed possible entry of air if owner wants extra safety
factor but carry a extra 1R-0751 2 micron only fuel filter would do the same thing.

I thought I understood your recommendations before, and I understand that you can by-pass the Racor if needed while on the road - but after this last post, I want to ask --
"if you have the Racor assembly and it is working fine, do you recommend to replace it with the CAT water/fuel separator assembly?" For someone that wants to have a primary filter in their fuel system.

I think a possible benefit of the CAT filter assembly over the Racor is that there are less places for leakage (less o-rings/seals) on the CAT water separator filter assembly and it has no electrical parts.

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2018, 01:32:18 PM »
Mike,
To answer to your question, not allowing the entry of air into your fuel system is critical. It is your choice on the direction you choose. It not my intent to push or change vechicle systems. What is Dave’s job is in helping the membership with engine problems is to point out the root cause of failure and reason for it. Air within the fuel system as the engine ages is the main cause for injection system failure and low power.  Your Caterpillar engine is built to last for the long haul and low cost operation if Caterpillar guide lines are followed.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 04:23:16 PM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »

Mike Shumack

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2018, 01:43:22 PM »
Thanks Dave
The following users thanked this post: Mike Tomas

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2018, 03:16:27 PM »
Just a reminder on the fuel suction side with the coaches with the Voss plastic fittings that over time will dry out and usually break if you try to remove one. Also the O-Ring seal will dry out if you coach sits for long periods of time, the fittings seem to work fine usually on a truck that runs all the time. I have replace all of them on my 06 PT with brass parker fittings.

Doug Allman

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2018, 04:17:49 PM »
Also any coach that coach manufacturer used hydraulic line for fuel line is very susceptible to the deteriorating hydraulic line plugging filters with minute small rubber particles. That type deteriorating line also is very susceptible to having air leaks at the fittings as it softens up.  If you want to inspect for this symptom you need to cut open your fuel filters when making change to verify you are not seeing a lot of black particles captured.
Dave may be able to give a better idea on what years he has seen this on.

Jeff Ramey

Re: HELP NEEDED!
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2018, 08:30:31 PM »
Sorry for the long delay in responding due to the holidays, the comments and advice are VERY much appreciated. I read the post on the Tech forum and have a little better understanding of what is supposed to be happening. As I've stated before, I have been an auto and aircraft mechanic for decades, but never a diesel mech. So I am really out of my depth here. I really want to switch over to the CAT solution as Dave recommended. It's a CAT product, I suppose they know what's best for it. But I don't think it's something I can DIY. I've never had to worry about vacuum in fuel lines before, etc. and don't want to screw something up out of ignorance doing what appears to be a simple filter/base change. My learning curve goes straight up with this diesel stuff. I took a short video of my RACOR water/fuel separator in action from idle with a slow rev to 1100 RPM and then a drop back to idle. I don't think it looks compromised, but I'm a rookie, so I don't have any confidence. What do you think?

https://youtu.be/Ddj9I73pVA0

Mike Shumack

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2018, 10:10:57 PM »
This is not a video of my racor filter, but mine looks similar to one in the video linked to below regarding flow. The clear strainer on my filter has more fuel running through it than you show in your video. But I think yours is fine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPoblzCU25o
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 10:18:52 PM by Mike Shumack »

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2018, 12:37:20 AM »
Jeff, I cannot understand why when a OEM Caterpillar part for a Caterpillar engine would be
any question in replacement back from an aftermarket non-OEM that has been installed on your engine. After while after being involved,  providing technical support on engines that are aging
and areas of problems that recurring my mission has failed to explain myself any further at this
point. All of the membership on this forum are professional in our field, myself unfortunately Dave
Spent 42 years working with Caterpillar equipment. Dave has provided factual reasons of engine
problems and areas that leads to engine failure and high repair cost. Everyone has there own choice
how they maintain there equipment and Wish you best of luck ahead in 2019.

Jeff Ramey

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2018, 04:27:08 AM »
No, I agree with you 100% Dave. I prefer CAT parts for my CAT engine.