Author Topic: Coolant analysis results  (Read 2030 times)

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
Coolant analysis results
« on: December 05, 2018, 09:23:54 PM »
Recently received my coolant analysis report from Fabick CAT.  About the only thing I understand here is that the coolant is good and the Freeze Point is minus 41F.  All the other readings are pretty much greek to me. Hoping I am not bumping any limits.
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

Mike Shumack

Re: Coolant analysis results
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 03:13:36 PM »
It looks like you switched to the ELC (Extended Life Coolant) so you don't need to worry about SCA levels anymore. I am planning to make switch as soon as I return from my trip this weekend.

In your analysis, it says your coolant PH is 7.3.  And it says everything is okay - no action needed.

But in the CAT publication "Know Your Coolant" SEBD0518-09 (page 36) it says the desired coolant PH level should be between 8.5 and 10.5. I don't know if there is anything you can add (or would want to add) to bring the PH up a few points. In swimming pools you add sodium carbonate Na2CO3 (soda ash) to raise PH.

Maybe Dave can comment on this.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 03:19:05 PM by Mike Shumack »
The following users thanked this post: Fred Cook

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 12:31:29 AM »
It looks like you switched to the ELC (Extended Life Coolant) so you don't need to worry about SCA levels anymore. I am planning to make switch as soon as I return from my trip this weekend.

In your analysis, it says your coolant PH is 7.3.  And it says everything is okay - no action needed.

But in the CAT publication "Know Your Coolant" SEBD0518-09 (page 36) it says the desired coolant PH level should be between 8.5 and 10.5. I don't know if there is anything you can add (or would want to add) to bring the PH up a few points. In swimming pools you add sodium carbonate Na2CO3 (soda ash) to raise PH.

Maybe Dave can comment on this.

Hmm.... interesting...  there is a blank space between 7 and 8.5 on the chart with no explanation.  For now I suppose I will follow the advice on the report and check it next service about this time next year. Thanks!
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

Mike Shumack

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 12:46:07 AM »
Maybe that blank space is the "acceptable" range and the zone above it is the "desired" range.