Author Topic: How do you remove the Bay panels that are not the hinged storage bays.  (Read 2119 times)

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
  I thought I had seen somewhere before that you could remove the bottom screws and the panel would hinge up for access to that area.  I have had the screws out before, but did not force the panels up since there was some resistance.
I need to replace my airbags, and it looks like it would be much easier if I could raise the bay panels and get to the top nut and the air line that way.

Does anyone have any suggestions for removing the panels or changing the airbags?   I tried the search function, but I am probably not putting in the right words.   The Coach is a 1998 Beaver Patriot Savannah on a 8 airbag magnum frame.  Thanks Carl
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126

Bob Stone

• BAC Member
Re: How do you remove the Bay panels that are not the hinged storage bays.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 06:30:32 AM »
Carl, I'm not sure if this information is of use to you as there's an 8 year age difference between our coaches and different models but from what you said it sounds like this aspect may not have changed. Two years ago I posted about my experience on removing the bay doors and rather than retype that post or have you try find it I’ve just copied it below. Again the comments refer to removing the bay doors but I see no reason to believe the skirting panels would not be attached in a similar manner. Warning: when you remove the little 1.5 inch locking piece of plastic and you hinge the door up it will fall out. I experienced some resistance when lifting the panel higher than it's usual height, beyond the degree restricted by the air struts perhaps just due to dust and grit in the hinge joint.

Disconnect both air struts from the door. Lift the door up as high as it will go being careful as the lip that holds it in place (essentially the hinge) might release the door allowing the door to fall. If it doesn't fall out of the hinge you will likely have to remove two plastic retainers that keep the door from moving fore and aft and also keep the lip of the hinge engaged. I found these little plastic retainer strips (about 1.25 inches long) were held[/size] [/size]in place with one, fine, difficult to remove Phillips screw. I wish I had a photo. It's not difficult when you're at it, just hard to explain. [/font]Good luck. Get back to me if my instructions are not sufficiently clear.”
[/font]
Bob Stone
'05 Monterey Laguna IV  Cat C-9

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 07:26:49 AM »
On our ‘06 the only one I’ve had occasion to unfasten is the louvered one protecting the radiators, streetside rearmost.  There was a stubborn screw (sheet metal?) I distinctly remember under the panel’s tucked-under lip to the rear, and probably one under the lip’s forward end.  The panel then just swung up as I recall;  it was 11-12 years ago, so I’m not sure how we made it stay up out of the way - I don’t remember struts.  To totally remove the panel I reckon I’d heed Bob’s instruction.

Can’t help as to the bags except to surely brace the body so it can’t come down when you’re under there, especially fooling with the air system.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Doug Allman

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 12:29:27 PM »
I can only speak for the 2004 Marquis but the skirt panels do come off from what is a rolled style hinge where there is no pin like a normal hinge. We had the rear panels covering the duals and the tag off when we changed the Bilsteins to Koni's and then spray foam insulated the wheel wells and floor areas.
They did come loose very quickly when you get all the bolts and screws removed. Be careful after that is completed as it did not take much when you swing them up to disengage and I would suggest a helper to keep them from dropping to the floor. Going back on is a must for a helper to keep the paint in same condition before removal.

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 04:57:30 PM »
Thanks Everyone!

I ordered 2 airbags today, was planning on replacing all 8 anyway.  The one behind the front tire on the drivers side blew while I have been rehabbing the interior and airing it up monthly.  Better here than on the road!  The panel that covers that airbag also covers the propane tank and has the propane access door in it.  Looks like I can take the 2 sheet metal screws out of the bottom of the panel and hopefully the door will simply hinge up.  That should give me good access to the top nut and the air line connection.  The bottom 4 bolts have good access to them from the bottom.  Hopefully the one airbag will fix it and I can drive it about 5 miles down the road and have the other 7 bags replaced.  It was already on the agenda for Jan anyway.  I looked at the rear air bags and would rather not do them.  Looks like they are all intended to have the tires taken off and the fender wells  to get good access.
Carl

330 hp Cat 3126

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 06:52:43 PM »
For anyone following this thread or anyone searching in the future, if you remove the bottom screws of the bay panels you can then lift up the panel like it is hinged and prop a board under it to hold it in the upright position.  When you put it back down you may have to tap the panel one way or the other to get the screw holes to line up correctly. 

My panel was the one that covers the propane tank and inside the propane tank door was a smaller door that is supposed to hold a sewer hose.  I had to remove that door and tube to get the panel to lift.   After that access to the top of the airbag was great.  It could have been none without raising that panel, but it would have been a bear!  With the panel removed I could even get impact tools inside.
Carl

330 hp Cat 3126
The following users thanked this post: Bob Stone