Author Topic: Had Coach weighed - interesting observation  (Read 1975 times)

Mike Shumack

Had Coach weighed - interesting observation
« on: December 09, 2018, 01:35:24 PM »
I had my Coach weighed yesterday at SmartWeigh. I went over the results with the guy doing the weighing and he said everything is good (all axles below their GAWR and total below GVWR) - but now that I'm home and upon further review I noticed my Tag axle weights are odd. Had I noticed this at the time I would have discussed with the guy (or had him reweighed the Tag).

The weight difference between the left and right side of Tag Axle is almost 100% (2,650 lbs on right Tax tire and 5,150 lbs on left Tag tire).

This seems odd because there is really nothing over the Tag (no compartments. Although there is the Bedroom slideout above it on both sides). The Drive Axle tires are almost equally balanced.

So I'm wondering if the "weigher" made a mistake (wrote 2650 lbs instead of 4650 lbs) OR if this weight difference is normal (could be correct). I wish I noticed this at the time of the weighing, but I'm home now.

What do you think?

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Had Coach weighed - interesting observation
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 01:48:56 PM »
Hi Mike,
I had my coach weighed by the same group. Although I do not have a tag, my drivers rear is 350 pounds over the axle rating. There is not much I can do about it. There is a slide out and radiator above it. My confidence is Rockwell axles have a certain amount of redundancy built in.
  If you wanted to recheck the tag, hit your local truck stop weight scales and just leave the tag on the scale and you'll get the combined weight to validate your results from the escapees.

Christmas Blessings, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Mike Shumack

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 08:13:06 PM »
That's a good idea Fred. I'll hit the local truck weigh station next time on I'm on the highway.

All of my axle weights are under the manufacturer's GAWR so I'm okay there. And I'm about 5,000 lbs under the GVWR.

I just don't think the Tag Axle tire weight can vary that much from side to side (unless one of the Tag air bags wasn't filling). The guy recording the weights must have written down the wrong number.

Chuck Jackson

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 02:14:21 AM »
For what’s it worth, my coach’s right rear is over 1k lbs heavier than the left but your difference on the tag does seem odd.
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4328
2008 Beaver Contessa 40' Pacifica 425 Cat - Sold