Author Topic: Changing Coolant - question on Aqua Hot engine preheat and complaint on Beaver  (Read 7299 times)

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Our local CAT dealer did the ELC swap for us a year ago. Didn't mention anything about a 'dummy' coolant filter, but I do know he charged us to replace the coolant filter; Now, where is that paperwork? On my 40' Lexington, the coolant filter is just left of coach centerline, mounted to the rear close to the rear cap. Mike, have you identified the coolant hoses on your coach running 'in harms way' like Fred described on the C12s? Just wondering if I should also add to my to do list??
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Mike Shumack

I know where the coolant filter is of course (I already installed a new "non-chemical -non-SCA filter) but I did not bother to trace the lines back to the engine.

If the removal (plugging of lines) requires removing the alternator as Gerald has noted - then I will probably put this job off a little while so I can attend to some other easier jobs on my to do list.

I hate to leave abandoned parts/things on the engine (or anywhere) - so just plugigng the hoses would drive me nuts - plus there would still be the chance that the could rupture over time. I'll remove and plug them at the block when I get a chance.

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
Our local CAT dealer did the ELC swap for us a year ago. Didn't mention anything about a 'dummy' coolant filter, but I do know he charged us to replace the coolant filter; Now, where is that paperwork? On my 40' Lexington, the coolant filter is just left of coach centerline, mounted to the rear close to the rear cap. Mike, have you identified the coolant hoses on your coach running 'in harms way' like Fred described on the C12s? Just wondering if I should also add to my to do list??

Your coolant filter is not required with the ELC so maybe he put in a dummy filter. Only danger you would be in now is if your hose would dry rot or burst. My coach was already switched over to CAT ELC when I bought it. The previous owner removed the hoses and plug the motor just behind the alternator. However... he left about a 3 inch portion of the hose in place at the bottom of the block and just plugged it with a clamp around it. Looks cheesy and I should really replace it with a plug in the block.   .
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

Mike Shumack

I recognize that those hoses to the coolant filter could bust so removing that filter and hoses is recommended once the switch to ELC is made, however that coolant filter actual does "filter". It's not an empty canister. If there were any debris (scale, old gasket material, soldering slag, etc.) in the cooling system this filter would catch it. So it's not totally useless. I guess it's just a decision based on whether the chance of the hose blowing/leaking is high versus whether or not there is anything in the cooling system worth filtering for.
The following users thanked this post: Fred Cook

Frank Bergamo

• BAC Member
Fred, on your C-12 the bottom hose is right next to the exhaust pipe, exposed to high heat. It would be a good idea to remove the 3" stub that you have and install a 1/2" pipe plug in the opening. Have a plug with Teflon tape or other thread sealer ready when you remove existing stub. Very little coolant will be lost if you remove old stub and then insert new one quickly. That will take care of any failures of hose that you may encounter, leaving you on side of road. As far as the C-13, I am not familiar with the routing of the filter lines. Gerald may be able to help those with that motor. Hope this helps.
Frank & Paulette Bergamo
2019-       : 2007 Marquis Topaz IV  C-15 600 HP Allison 4000
2014-2019: 2002 Marquis Emerald C-12 505 HP Allison 4000
2004-2014: 1986 Executive Diplomat 3208 250 HP Allison MT-643
Grand Junction, CO.

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
 Mike, I apologize for the post above I accidentally hit the button and posted it before I was finished. But as I was saying the filter is not really a filter per se. Instead it provides additives to the coolant to prevent cavitation called SCA. CAT ELC provides these additives so that filter Is no longer needed.  But as you say above I suppose that it could filter out some undesirables.
Fred & Cindy

Mike Shumack

Hi Fred,
As you know the stock coolant filter (CAT 9Y-1022 which is the WIX 20473) provides the chemical additive (supplemental Coolant Additive) and is needed with the factory fill "green" coolant. When switching to the "red" Extended Life Coolant you would/could then use a "non-chemical additive" filter (just a plain filter) if you still want a filter, which is the WIX 24070.

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
Mike, thanks for the info. Mine is already disconnected, but leaving a filter in place can’t hurt.
Fred & Cindy

Gerald Farris

The coolant filter hose issue here is primarily related to the C 12 engine. The C 12 has the exhaust and intake manifolds on the same side of the engine where the coolant filter hose is routed. The C 13 has the intake manifold on one side and the exhaust on the other side of the engine. So if you have a C 13 check the filter hoses to insure they stay soft and flexible, but their failure rate is not anywhere near as high as the C 12 hoses. However, if your hoses need changing and you are running ELC, why not just block them off instead of replacing them and get one less maintenance issue and less clutter in the engine bay.

Gerald