Author Topic: ABS and Jake brake /compression brake  (Read 2146 times)

Kevin Patchen

ABS and Jake brake /compression brake
« on: December 11, 2018, 07:19:56 PM »
I have a 2008 Bearer Patriot thunder with a C-12 525 CAT.   I have been traveling back and forth between Las Vegas to LA and there are a couple of good size down grades as you come in the Vegas area.  As I start down the long grade I slow down to about 50 mph and kick on the compression break mine has two setting high and low and I select the low setting. I would say the grade take maybe ten mins to travel.  Is I approach the last two or three miles  the ABS light comes on. (this has happened a number of times) I'm not using the brakes but may be a couple of times during the decent.  Once shutting down the coach the light goes off.  Why is the ABS light coming on? 

Mike Shumack

Re: ABS and Jake brake /compression brake
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 08:40:45 PM »
Kevin,
There is a ABS diagnostic button that lets you retrieve blink codes.

My coach is a 2005 and uses the Bendix/Eaton (p/n 300208) Generation-4 ABS/ATC controller. I have a Service manual for this with troubleshooting and code definitions, but it is too large to attach here. PM me with your e-mail address if you want a copy.

However, I don't know if your 2008 uses the same Gen-4 system that's on my coach (check your Build Sheet)

Mike

Mike Shumack

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 04:01:31 PM »
I have a 2008 Bearer Patriot thunder with a C-12 525 CAT.   

I noticed in your original post, you said you have a C12. As your coach is a 2008 you should have a CAT C13.
The easiest way to tell is that the C12 has the intake and exhaust on the same side of the engine, and the C13 has the intake on the opposite side of the head from the exhaust manifold. I suspect it was just a typo - but i thought I mention it anyways.  ;)

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 06:08:28 PM »
Kevin & Mike,
Although the C12 is still in production, because of EPA emission regulations, it has not been produced for highway (over the road) use since about January 2004, so the 2004 Marquis and Thunder (mostly built in 2003 or with stockpiled 2003 engines) were the last Beavers to have the C12.

Gerald