Author Topic: Roadside assistance  (Read 3025 times)

Lawrence Tarnoff

Roadside assistance
« on: December 13, 2018, 09:28:51 PM »
Time to renew.  Coachnet is $169.  Good Sam is $89.  Plans seem comparable.  Any reason not to go with Good Sam?

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Roadside assistance
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 10:09:25 PM »
Also consider the FMCA plan (see their website or your last magazine issue).  Everyone has their own opinion and good or bad history to report, but our experience with CoachNet has been very good.  Make sure you’re indeed considering all apples to all apples, and that Good Sam’s isn’t just an introductory price.  Each time they’ve sent enticing info, my deliberations inevitably lead me to stay with CoachNet.

Also see if your insurance agent offers a discounted CoachNet plan.  BAC associate Overland Insurance Services helped with ours a few years ago and the savings were significant, but I believe they’ve moved to a different service company now.  Regardless, we went with a long-term contract that saved us more.  Indeed their rates have gone up... we paid $380 for 5 years in 2015.  You’d not have to pay $169 per year if you had an agency discounted multi year plan, and you could forget about getting a new bill for a few years.

We were already CoachNet members when we picked up the Overland discount in 2012.  The only minor frustration was that our account number had to change because the new account went through a different provider, and account numbers reflect their provider.  The old number was simply our coach’s serial number (not the longer VIN number), which I’d had memorized.

Joel
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 10:37:45 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gerald Farris

Re: Roadside assistance
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 03:14:21 PM »
Lawrence,
My wife switched our roadside assistance provider over to Good Sam because it was cheap, last year when the discounted Coachnet plan was no longer available from Overland. In April of this year on I-5 at Tacoma Washington, a piece of debris from the truck in front of me cut my RR outer drive tire causing the blowout of a 11 month old 315/80/22.5 Michelin. So I called Good Sam and was told that they could not get a Michelin, but they could get a Hancock that size. So I said OK, and then I found the reason Good Sam was cheap. They charged me $170 to change the tire, that took the guy 10 minutes because it was an outer tire, he did not even remove the wheel. In all Good Sam charged me $990 to install a Hancock tire, and they refused to mount it on the tag and move the tag tire to the drive axle so that I would have matched tires on my drive axle. I learned that Good Sam is only cheap if you never use it, but if you use it, it is the most expensive plan out there. I dropped Good Sam the next month and went with the new FMCA plan. 

Gerald   
The following users thanked this post: Karl Welhart, Stan Simpson