Author Topic: Sink Odors  (Read 3773 times)

Rocky Healey

• BAC Member
Sink Odors
« on: March 11, 2019, 01:27:15 AM »
I have been noticing an odor coming from the kitchen sink and have just read an article about a HepvO sanitary valve in place of a P trap.  In looking under my kitchen sink I do not have a P trap in the drain piping.  Has anyone heard of this new item HepvO sanitary valve or have yo put one in.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Rocky Healey
Patroit Thunder
45 ft.
C-13
Rocky & Suzi Healey
2008 Patroit Thunder
C-13
45ft

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Sink Odors
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 05:20:53 AM »
Was told by some very knowledgeable people that this valve does not work as well as a P trap and was advised against installing it.  I had 3 to put under kitchen sink, and two bathroom sinks.  After talking to these people, I decided not to put any into the coach.  After that decision, a friend told me he took his Hepo out because of the odors that leaked back into the coach.  If you have odors, make sure the vent lines are open, many times they become clogged with nests or other items.
Roy Warren
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 06:26:14 AM »
Rocky,
Consider using Tank Tech in the grey tank every 3rd or 4th tank. Drain the tank per the instructions. It will solve the odor problem.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 01:37:19 PM »
We also had "sink odors."  But the odor was strongest near the Splendide washer/dryer, and the odors became apparent after several weeks of not using the Splendide.  Our Splendide is located just aft of the kitchen countertop.  After running the Splendide through a rinse cycle, no more odors.  Its P-trap had dried out.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 01:43:37 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 01:50:10 PM »
We also had "sink odors."  But the odor was strongest near the Splendide washer/dryer, and the odors became apparent after several weeks of not using the Splendide.  After running the Splendide through a rinse cycle, no more odors.  Its P-trap had dried out.

I inserted an ice maker hose into the washer p-trap and strung it to the top of my stacked washer/dryer setting inside a closet. I then put a small funnel on the hose at the top end. I am now able to put water in th p- trap easily without moving both washer and dryer... a major pain.
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 02:01:50 PM »
    Hi Rocky,
Try replacing the "vent check". This usually will solve the problem. The vent check is a one way vent to allow air into the drain system so the p-trap will not siphon out. It is about 2" in diameter and treaded into the drain plumbing higher than the sink drain. Those of you with a Spendide washer/dryer, run a rinse cycle every 90 days to keep your p-trap full

Blessings & Joy, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6