Author Topic: Things that go thump in the night.  (Read 2656 times)

jeffprupis

Things that go thump in the night.
« on: December 23, 2018, 02:57:13 PM »
OK, got a strange one going on. Intermittent "thump" coming from electrical (battery) compartment. Investigated this AM and what's happening is a high pitched whine (2-3secs), followed by a mid range thump (all barely perceptible). Doesn't happen all the time. Seems like something (motor?) is trying to startup then quits, hence the thump. Any ideas? TIA and happy holidays to all my Beaver friends.

Bill Sprague

Re: Things that go thump in the night.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 03:00:31 PM »
If it is near the batteries, that's where the BigBoy/BIRD parts are.  The BigBoy will make "thumps" as it actuates. 

jeffprupis

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 03:21:49 PM »
It is. Loud enough to hear in the bedroom (which is above the battery tray) and why would it be intermittent? May not hear for days on end. Then it returns.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 03:36:20 PM »
I've never heard the Big boy "thump" but it does make a continuous high-pitched whine noise. I asked about here and contacted Intellitec about it (it's normal).

My Transfer switch makes a pretty loud thump whenever I plug in or disconnect Shore Power. On my coach the transfer switch is in that last compartment near the drive axle, centered in the frame rails  (not too far from battery box). I mention this in case your noise "sounds like" it coming from battery box but is actually coming from a little further under the coach.

jeffprupis

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 03:49:40 PM »
Transfer switch sound different.

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2018, 04:26:29 PM »
Jeff, Reset your inverter to cure your problem. Disconnect from all AC power (gen, shore), turn off the inverter using the rocker switch on the inverter, use your battery disconnect to shut off house power. Let it sit for a few minutes; restore power in reverse order. Had the mysterious clicking-thumping on my 05 Thunder, found the inverter reset procedure in the Beaver (not inverter) manual. Once reset, no more thumping and battery charging is back to normal.

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to all!!
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."