Author Topic: Fan-Tastic Vent Fan  (Read 4649 times)

Edward Buker

Fan-Tastic Vent Fan
« on: March 22, 2011, 10:57:28 PM »
Thought I would put this fan info on the forum in case someone else has not added this mod.....

We have never liked the thermostat feature and the cycling of the vent as it cools and heats up and opens and closes. The other issue is that my wife cannot reach the controls. We changed out the living room unit and replaced it with the remote control version and are happy with that change. The bathroom unit remained a problem.

Gerald had mentioned a wiring modification that he had made but it had been awhile and he could not quite remember exactly what he had done. I called the Fan-Tastic folks and here is the mod Gerald was referring to in case anyone in the future wants to spend about 3 hrs or so fixing this issue.

Start by gently pulling and prying down the ceiling wooden trim, As you do, try and determine the spacing block numbers and layout that space out the 4 sidewall trim boards. Those blocks are loose so I hot melt glued those blocks back in place to the sidewalls. Remove the 4 sidewall trim boards. Unscrew the face plate of the fan and the screen. The small wires that come from the rain sensor had to be lifted from the hot melt glue that is on the fan unit to allow the unit to drop enough to get better wiring access. You then will add a switch in series with either of the orange wires that go to the thermostat. You will need to drill a hole in the plastic face to mount the small switch in series with the thermostat. I used a miniature switch that required just a 1/4 inch hole. I prewired the switch with the proper spade connectors so it would just plug in. Tape the uninsulated spade connection that is not fastened to the thermostat lug. Screw the fan face and screen assembly back in place.

I snipped off the pins that held the ceiling trim in place and drilled 4 holes, one per side, on the vertical face and screwed that trim piece to the vent area sidewalls. It will be much easier to deal with if it has to be removed in the future

Basically you can now preset your controls to your desired fan speed etc. The wall switch will now open and start the fan based on your preset mode. When you reverse the wall switch it will close and shut the fan off. The switch you added, when in the on position, enables the thermostat feature to operate as it originally did. The cycling issue can now be disabled and the wall switch now becomes a functioning on/off switch. The rain sensor is still enabled with the switch you added in either the on or off position. Hope this helps.

Later Ed